History of the ASCR
Arthur Platt, Professor of Greek at the College 1894-1925 and colleague of A.E. Housman (Professor of Latin at the College, 1892-1911), is generally acknowledged to have founded the UCL Common Room.
After the Second World
War, the Men's Common Room, the Women's Common Room and the Joint Staff Common
Room (founded in 1947) operated independently in the Housman Room, the Margaret
Murray Room and the Haldane Room respectively.
In 1969 the three
merged to form the Senior Staff Common Room, and in 1979 with the
adoption of a new constitution the name was modified to its present form, the Academic Staff Common Room (ASCR).
1989 the then Provost, Derek Roberts, re-allocated the Margaret Murray Room for
use by College administration; in 2003 the Haldane Room was opened up for use by
all UCL staff and in 2007 refurbished and made bookable for meetings and
The ASCR now provides facilities in the Housman Room for its membership of some 2000 academic and administrative staff.