UCL Arena Two
This part of UCL Arena is for you if you are a Lecturer or Teaching Fellow on probation, and need to gain a teaching qualification in order to complete your probationary requirements.
UCL Arena Two is the Academic Practice Pathway – a series of activities based on dialogue with peers, and teaching observations. It has a particular focus on approaches to teaching in your subject.
The programme is very flexible, and centres on six two hour meetings during a one year period. During this time you will be asked to:
- engage in focused conversations with your colleagues
- explore the diversity of approaches to teaching, course design and assessment at UCL, and the support structures available for both students and staff
- read some education literature focused on teaching your own subject in a university setting
- consider wider dimensions of academic practice, including building a successful career within a research-intensive institution
- observe colleagues teaching, both within and outside your own subject field
- develop some short case studies (written, audio and/or audio) of ways in which you are developing your own approaches to teaching, assessment, course design, supervision and/or student support in your department.
This course enables you to apply for a UCL Arena Fellowship, which will also entitles you to a Higher Education Academy Fellowship. Staff with 3 years full time teaching experience may be entitled to exemption. Please see section on exemption below. A successful application will entitle you to use the post-nominal letters FHEA, and will mean that you are recognised by the UK Higher Education Statistic Agency as qualified to teach in higher education.
Successful participants in the IOE's PGCLTHE who registered before or during 2014-15 will be eligible for Fellowship of the HEA.
- Please sign up for your chosen session below. Please note, you should be available attend all 7 sessions on the dates listed within that group.
- You only need to attend one group of 7x2-hour sessions in total
You also need to attend a Q&A session with Vice-Provost (Education & Student Affairs) Prof Anthony Smith on one of the following dates:
- Wednesday 30th September 2015, 11am-12pm (Autumn Term cohorts)
- Thursday 8th October 2015, 11am-12pm (Autumn Term cohorts)
- Monday 11 January 2016, 11am-12pm (Spring Term cohorts)
- All sessions will be held in the Arena Room, 1-19 Torrington Place
- We endeavour to offer everyone their first group choice, but due to limited places this may not be possible. During registration we will be asking you to pick a second group choice
If you have any questions, please email Peter Phillips: email@example.com
Cohort A –Mondays, 11am - 1pm
- 12 October
- 19 October
- 26 October
- 2 November
- 16 November
- 23 November
- 30 November
Cohort B – Wednesdays, 11am - 1pm
- 14 October
- 21 October
- 28 October
- 4 November
- 18 November
- 25 November
- 2 December
Cohort C – Thursdays, 11am - 1pm
- 15 October
- 22 October
- 29 October
- 5 November
- 19 November
- 26 November
- 3 December
Cohort D – Mondays, 11 am - 1pm
- 18 January
- 25 January
- 1 February
- 8 February
- 22 February
- 29 February
- 7 March
Cohort E – Wednesday 11am - 1pm
- 20 January
- 27 January
- 3 February
- 10 February
- 24 February
- 2 March
- 9 March
Cohort F – Thursday 11am - 1pm
- 21 January
- 28 January
- 4 February
- 11 February
- 25 February
- 3 March
- 10 March
Exemption from attendance from either Arena Two can be claimed only on one of the following grounds:
1. You already hold a Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy or a Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (or equivalent).
In this case, please download the exemption form (below) and complete Form A and
send it, along with a copy of the relevant certificate(s) and an
up-to-date CV, to Arena.Two@ucl.ac.uk.
If in doubt about the equivalence of your qualification, you are welcome to email the above address to make a preliminary enquiry.
2. You have been teaching in higher education for more than three years (full time equivalent) and can evidence engagement with a range of professional development activities related to teaching in HE.
In this case, you may be eligible to make a direct application for an HEA Fellowship award via the UCL Arena Open scheme. In order to confirm that your experience is sufficient to undertake a direct application, please download the exemption form (below) and complete Form B and send it, along with an up-to-date CV, to Arena.Two@ucl.ac.uk.
Useful information, forms and guidelines:
- UCL Request for Exemption from Probationary Requirement Form (Word doc)
- Guidelines for probationary Lecturers and Research Fellows (PDF)
- Guidelines for probationary Teaching Fellows (link to HR web site)
|Non-credit bearing UCL-based course with UCL participants|
|12 contact hours|
|Application for UCL Arena/HEA Fellowship including details of teaching-related continuing professional development (CPD) and two open references (at least one from UCL)|
|4 x ~600 word case studies|
If you have any questions about this pathway, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Page last modified on 17 jun 15 11:13