The course will provide an introduction to the archaeological sites and materials associated with the human evolutionary record from Africa and Eurasia. It will cover four major chronological phases:
- a) Primate origins and behavior.
- b) Stone and bone accumulations associated with Australopithecines and Early Homo.
- c) The archaeological record of dispersals associated with Homo erectus
- d) Neanderthal archaeology
- e) Behavioural signatures associated with the emergence of Homo sapiens and modern humans.
The course will introduce aspects of historical, technological, taphonomic and theoretical frameworks necessary to a critical understanding of the archaeological record
This course will be delivered through formal taught lectures and related seminars.
The latter will comprise discussion, student presentations and handling sessions.
The course will be supported by on-line materials including presentation files, electronic reading lists and digital sites profiles.