Facilities and Staff
The Institute of Archaeology provides a stimulating environment for postgraduate study, with over 290 registered Masters students and 120 MPhil/PhD students and extensive facilities. Its outstanding archaeological library is complemented by University College London's main library, University of London Senate House and other specialist libraries. Past students on this degree programme have made very effective use of the resources at the British Museum's Centre for Anthropology and the Museum of London.
The teaching staff for this degree bring together a range and depth of expertise that is arguably unparalleled at other institutions.
- Bill Sillar's research has focused, amongst other things, on how pottery production and use is embedded in wider aspects of society. This has been explored through ethnoarchaeological research archaeological analysis in Peru, Bolivia and the UK. He has a great interest in the past and present societies of the Andes and is currently writing a book with Emily Dean on the Inca ceremonial complex in Raqchi, Peru. He is director of the West Dean Project where there are opportunities for UCL students to develop aspects of experimental archaeology as well as field work and artefact analysis.
Some further staff who teach courses associated with this degree and/or who have helped with supervising dissertations, are listed below (with links to their web-pages and current research projects):
- A list of the funding opportunities available for students taking taught Masters programmes is provided by the Student Funding Office.
While you are here
After you leave
- Some recent graduates of the programme have gone on to do PhDs while others have pursued an incredibly wide range of professional careers both within and beyond archaeology.
Further Information and Application Forms
- Applications are normally accepted any time from 1st November to 1st August unless there are no longer any places available.
- For further details, please email the Institute of Archaeology's Graduate Admissions Tutor.