2008: Survey Course
In November 2008 the survey course mapped the double bank and ditched enclosure of Goosehill Camp to provide a detailed topographic survey of the monument and its immediate landscape setting. The ‘camp’ was constructed on the slope of the Chilgrove Valley, just below the summit of chalk ridge and now sits within the dense tree cover of Kingley Vale Nature reserve . The ‘camp’ has two concentric oval-shaped bank each surrounded by a substantial outer ditch, with an entrance with rounded terminals on the western side. On the south-eastern side, where the ground falls away steeply, the bank and ditch fade into the hillside and it is unclear if this is due to erosion or an original feature. Just inside the south-western side of the inner bank two roughly circular depressions up to 1m deep may be hut platforms. The monument was surveyed and partially excavated by Boyden (1956) between 1953 and 1955, and was dated to the late Iron Age, on the basis of pottery recovered; Boyden suggested it had a fairly utilitarian agricultural use as a stock enclosure, with a small occupation within the inner bank. The site was surveyed using three total stations each of which had to be re-located several times to ‘see round’ the trees covering the monument – an ideal exercise for students learning how to set-up and use total stations for the first time!
Goosehill Camp and
other monuments in the landscape, taken from:
Boyden, J.R., (1956). Excavations at Goosehill Camp, 1953-55. /Sussex// Archaeological Collections/ 94, 70-99
Contour map developed from students' total-station survey of Goosehill camp, November 2008