Publications and Papers
Baker, J., Brookes, S.J. and Reynolds, A. Landscapes of Governance: legal geographies and political order in Anglo-Saxon England, AD 400–1066.
Carroll, J., Reynolds, A. and Yorke, B. (eds), Power and Place in Early Medieval Europe. London: Proceedings of the British Academy.
Baker, J. and Brookes, S. 2015 'Identifying outdoor assembly sites in early medieval England', Journal of Field Archaeology 40.1, 3–21
S. and S. Brookes. 2014. A Multi-Phase Anglo-Saxon Site in Ewelme, Oxoniensia 79, 1–30
Baker, J. and Brookes, S. 2013 'Outside the gate: sub-urban legal practices in early medieval England', World Archaeology 45.5, 747–61
Baker, J. and Brookes, S. 2013 'Monumentalising the political landscape: a special class of Anglo-Saxon assembly-sites' Antiquaries Journal 94, 147–162
Baker, J. and Brookes, S. 2013 'Governance at the Anglo-Scandinavian interface: hundredal organisation in the southern Danelaw' Journal of the North Atlantic Special Issue 5, 76–95
Reynolds, A. 2013 ‘Judicial culture and social complexity: a general model from Anglo-Saxon England’, in A. Reynolds and K. P. Smith (eds), The Archaeology of Legal Culture. World Archaeology 45.5, 699-713.
Reynolds, A. and Smith, K. P. 2013 ‘Introduction: the archaeology of legal culture’, in A. Reynolds and K. P. Smith (eds), The Archaeology of Legal Culture. World Archaeology 45.5, 687-698.
Mallett, L., Reddish, S., Baker, J., Brookes, S. and A. Gaunt. 2012. Community archaeology at Thynghowe, Birklands, Sherwood Forest. Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire 116, 53–72.
Baker, J., Brookes, S.J. and Reynolds, A. 2011. Landscapes of Governance: Assembly sites in England, fifth-eleventh centuries. Post-Classical Archaeologies 1, 499–502
Brookes, S.J. 2011. The lathes of Kent: a review of the evidence. In Brookes, S.J., Harrington, S. and Reynolds, A. (eds.). Studies in Early Anglo-Saxon Art and Archaeology: Papers in Honour of Martin G. Welch. British Archaeological Reports, 156-70
Brookes, S.J. and Harrington, S. 2010. The Kingdom and People of Kent AD 400-1066. Stroud: The History Press, pp 103-7
- 'Anglo-Saxon Assembly Places in Context' - Brookes. Berkshire Archaeological Society (18 October 2014)
- 'Scale and Scale change in early medieval England. Defining Kingdoms: sixth to tenth centuries' - Brookes, Sutton Hoo Society Conference (20 September 2014)
- 'Landscapes of Governance: Assembly Sites in England, Fifth – Eleventh Centuries' - Brookes, Session: Assembly Places, EAA Istanbul (13 September 2014)
- 'Triangulating Landscapes of Early Medieval Governance' - Brookes, Session: Old Worlds, New Histories: Towards an Integration of Archaeological and Historical Data-sets, EAA Istanbul (11 September 2014)
- 'Natural regional divisions of places in Domesday Book' - Brookes with Elsa Arcaute, The Connected Past, Imperial College London (9 September 2014)
- 'Landscapes of Governance' - Brookes, Huseby-Workshop – status quo, open questions and perspectives. Copenhagen (20 March 2014)
- 'Assemblies and commerce in Anglo-Saxon England: some summary observations' - Brookes, The Assembly Project workshop, Hall in Tirol, Austria (10 May 2013)
- 'Landscapes of Governance: some moot points' - Brookes, Medieval Studies Forum “England: Before and after the Conquest (16 March 2013)
- 'Gateways, Gates, and Gatu: liminal spaces at the centre of things' - Baker and Brookes, 63rd Sachsensymposion, Durham (05 September 2012)
- 'Landscapes of governance: Anglo-Saxon assemblies' - Brookes and Reynolds, Joint Seminars in Early Medieval Studies, British Museum (06 March 2012)
- ‘Folk’ cemeteries, assembly and territorial geography in early Anglo-Saxon England' - Brookes, Power and Place in Later Roman and Early Medieval Europe conference, London (11 November 2011)
- 'Assembly place-names: problems and possibilities'- Baker, Power and Place in Later Roman and Early Medieval Europe conference, London (November 2011)
- 'Place-names and Anglo-Saxon assembly sites' - Baker, SNSBI conference, Canterbury (15-17 April 2011)
- Moot and Hundred Meeting-Places day-school - Baker and Brookes, Institute of Continuing Education, Madingley Hall, Cambridge (10 April 2011)
- 'Landscapes of Governance' - Baker, CBA South Midlands spring conference, Northampton (9 April 2011)
- Anglo-Saxon Assembly, 25-27 March 2011, Oxford University Department for Continuing Education, Rewley House, Oxford. Speakers included: Prof A. Reynolds, Dr S. Brookes. Dr J. Baker, Dr S. Semple, Prof B. Yorke, Prof W. Davies, and others
- 'Place-names and the Anglo-Saxon landscape of the Cambridgeshire region' - Baker, Cambridge Antiquarian Society (December 2010)
- 'The place-names of Anglo-Saxon governance' - Baker, Kent Archaeological Society, Rochester (November 2010)
- 'Landscapes of Governance' - Baker, Community Landscape and Archaeology Survey Project AGM, Paulerspury, Northamptonshire (September 2010)
- 'Landscapes of Governance: a (preliminary) methods statement' - Brookes, The THING Project, Shetland/Orkney partner meeting (given in absentia 17/04/2010)
- ‘Landscapes of Governance’ - Baker, Thing Sites International Networking Group, Orkney (given in absentia April 2010)
- 'Assembly and civil defence' - Brookes, Icelandic Assembly Group Conference. Þingvellir, Iceland (7/09/2008)