Shahrizor Research Project
Investigating archaeological and environmental change
This research project entails researching archaeological and
environmental change in the Shahrizor using interdisciplinary methods and
Current research has focused on recovering sedimentary data and phytoliths from valley regions of the Shahrizor to get a preliminary idea of land use and environmental change in the region during different periods.
- Altaweel, M., Marsh, A., Muhl, S., Nieuwenhuyse, O., Radner, K., Rasheed, K., and Saber, S. In press. New Investigations in the Environment, History, and Archaeology of the Iraqi Hilly Flanks: Shahrizor Survey Project 2009-2011. Iraq.
- Funding has previously been obtained from the United States State Department and the British Institute for the Study of Iraq
- Results of funding applications to the AHRC and Qatar Government are pending.
- Karen Radner (UCL History)
- David Wengrow
- Arlene Rosen (University of Texas)
- Rob Carter (UCL-Qatar)
- Dorian Fuller
- Louise Martin