- BA, MA, PhD
- Lecturer in Chinese Archaeology
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCL3062 Art and Archaeology of Ancient China
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCLG278 Social Complexity in Early China from the Neolithic to the Early Empire
Geoarchaeology; Early Agriculture, Ecological Diversity and Landscape Change in the Early Neolithic of North China.
- 2013 – 2015: Origin of Chinese Civilization and Preservation of Cultural Relics Project – Phase IV: Sub-Project, Settlement and Population in the Origin of Chinese Civilization, member of the research team
- 2011 – present: Evolution of Prehistoric Rice Farming in the Lower Yangtze River: Geoarchaeological Studies at the Tianluoshan and Maoshan Sites
- 2012 – 2013: Geoarchaeological Investigation of Long-term Land Use Change, Regional Impact and Social Complexity at the Wadian Site and Its Surroundings, Henan, China. In collaboration with Dr Hai Zhang, Peking University
- Prof Chi Zhang: Deputy Director, School of Archaeology and Museology, Peking University, Beijing, China
- Prof Honghai Chen: Director, School of Cultural Heritage, Northwest University, Xi’an, Shaanxi Province, China
- Mr Bin Liu: Director, Museum of Changqing District, Jinan, Shandong Province, China
- Prof Pin Ding: Zhejiang Provincial Institute of Cultural Relict and Archaeology, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, China
- Prof Dengyun Qiao: Director, Institute of Cultural Relict Preservation and Management, Handan, Hebei Province, China
- Prof Charles French: Director, McBurney Laboratory for Geoarchaeology, University of Cambridge, UK
- Dr Richard Bailey: Director, Luminescence Dating Laboratory, University of Oxford, UK
- Prof TR Kidder: Chair, Department of Anthropology, Washington University in St Louis
Junior Research Fellow in Chinese
Archaeology, Merton College, University of Oxford, UK
- 2008 – 2012: PhD Division of Archaeology, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2005 – 2008: MA Archaeology and Museology, School of Archaeology and Museology, Peking University, Beijing, China
- 2001 – 2005: BA Archaeology and Museology, Department of Archaeology, School of Culture and Museology, Northwest University, Xi’an, Shaanxi Province, China
- Zhuang, Y., Ding, P., and French, C. In press. Water management and intensification of rice farming at the late-Neolithic site of Maosha, Lower Yangtze River. The Holocene.
- Zhuang , Y. 2013. Introduction and Chapters 1, 2 and 3. Archaeological Report of the Surface Survey Project in the Nanyang Basin. Beijing: Cultural Relics Press.
- Zhuang, Y. and French, C. 2013. River floodplain aggradation history and cultural activities: geoarchaeological investigation at the Yuezhuang site of the Lower Yellow River, China. Quaternary International. Volume 315, 27 November 2013, Pages 101–115.
- Zhuang, Y., French, C. 2012. Geoarchaeological investigations of Pre-Yangshao agriculture, ecological diversity and landscape change in North China. Journal for Ancient Studies.
Conferences and Presentations
- April. 2013: Environment and the Anthropocene in Ancient China, with Prof. T.R. Kidder (Washington University in St. Louis), to be presented at the 78th Annual Meeting for the Society of American Archaeology, Hawaii
- Nov. 2012: The Archaeology of River Floodplains in the Early Neolithic of North China: A Palaeo-ecological Perspective, oral presentation at the Asian Archaeology Group, Cambridge
- Nov. 2012: Neolithisation Process in North China: Geoarchaeological Investigation at two Early Neolithic Sites, oral presentation at the Environmental Archaeologies of Neolithisation Autumn Conference of Association for Environmental Archaeology, Reading
- Nov. 2012: In Search of Ancient Cultivated Soils in North and South China: A Geoarchaeological Perspective, oral presentation at the Centre for Asian Archaeology, Art and Culture, Oxford
- Jul. 2012: Geoarchaeological Investigation of Pre-Yangshao (8000-7000cal.BP) Agriculture, Ecological Diversity and Landscape Change in North China, poster at the 14th International Working Meeting for Soil Micromorphology, Lleida, Spain
- Jun. 2012: Geoarchaeological Investigations of Pre-Yangshao Agriculture, Ecological diversity and Landscape Change in North China, oral presentation at the Landscape Archaeology Conference, Berlin Free University, Germany
- Mar. 2012: Agriculture before Yangshao: A Geoarchaeological Survey of Lost Agrarian Diversity in North China, oral presentation at the Darwin College Lunchtime Seminar, Cambridge
- Apr. 2011: Land Management and Landscape Change during the Early Neolithic in North China, oral presentation at the Microarchaeology Conference, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- Sep. 2010: Attending the Ordos Bronzes and the Early East-west Cultural Exchange through Eurasian Steppe, Ordos, Inner-Mongolia, China