- BSc, PhD, FSA
- Senior Research Fellow Boxgrove Project
- Senior Teaching Fellow in Palaeolithic Archaeology
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCL2037 Interpreting Archaeological Data
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCL3094 Archaeology of Human Evolution
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCLG271 Archaeology of Early Human Origins
- Patterning in the use, discard and transportation of artifacts and raw materials by early humans.
- The taphonomy and behavioural controls over Acheulean assemblage formation.
- The role of bifacial technology and tool discard in Lower Palaeolithic hunting strategies and social organization.
- The geological context of Middle Pleistocene human occupation in Southern Britain.
- Visualization and simulation of prehistoric landscapes.
- Early Upper Palaeolithic colonisation of northern Europe.
Research Directory Records
- Beedings Palaeolithic Survey
- Changing London: Town Planning from a Human Evolutionary Perspective
- Neanderthals and Modern Humans in the Palaeolithic of Europe and Western Asia
- Sporting Chance: Testing the Evolutionary Determinants of Health in Inner City Schools
- Quaternary Archaeology and Environments of Jersey
- Valdoe Survey
- 1990 - 1993 BSc Archaeology. University of Wales, College Cardiff
- 1997 - 2002 PhD Archaeology. University of Southampton
Roberts, M.B., and M.I Pope. In Press. The Raised Beach Mapping Project. London: English Heritage Monograph Series.
Pope M. 2011. Return to la Cotte. British Archeology. March/April 2011
Pope M. 2010. Mezolith: Book Review. Lithics 31
Pope, M. & Roberts, M. 2010. Clenching Authority: Joseph Prestwich and the proofs of the antiquity of man. In R. Hosfield, F. Wenban-Smith & M. Pope (eds.) Great Prehistorians: 150 Years of Palaeolithic Research, 1859–2009 (Special Volume 30 of Lithics: The Journal of the Lithic Studies Society): Lithic Studies Society, London.
R. Hosfield, F. Wenban-Smith & M. Pope. 2010. Great Prehistorians: 150 Years of Palaeolithic Research, 1859–2009 (Special Volume 30 of Lithics: The Journal of the Lithic Studies Society): 35–44. Lithic Studies Society, London.
Pope M.I., M.B. Roberts, A. Maxted and P. Jones. 2009. Lower Palaeolithic Archaeology at the Valdoe, West Sussex. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Pope, M.I. 2009. Early Upper Palaeolithic archaeology at Beedings, West Sussex: new contexts for Pleistocene archaeology. Archaeology International 9.
Roberts, M.B. and M.I. Pope. 2009. The Archaeological and Sedimentary Records from Boxgrove and Slindon. In R.M. Briant, M.R. Bates, R.T Hosfield and F.F. Wenban-Smith (eds) The Quaternary of the Solent Basin and West Sussex Raised Beaches. QRA Field Guide
Pope, M. 2009. Comment to O. Bar-Yosef and P. Van De Meer, The Chaine Operatoire Approach in Middle Palaeolithic Archaeology. Current Anthropology, Volume 50, Number 1.
Pope, M. & Maxted, A. 2008. A refitting biface reduction scatter from Newhaven, East Sussex. Lithics: 29: 55–63.
Pope M.I. 2008. Beedings: New work near Nutbourne, West Sussex. Past. 59.
Pope M.I. 2007. The Palaeolithic. In The Fishbourne Research and Conservation Framework. Sussex Past.
Pope M.I 2006. Biface form and structured behaviour in the Acheulean. Lithics 27.
Pope, M.I 2005. Observations on the relationship between Palaeolithic individuals and artefact scatters at the Middle Pleistocene site of Boxgrove, UK. In Gamble C.S. and Porr, M. The Individual In the Palaeolithic. Routledge.
Pope, M.I. 2004. The Raised Beach Mapping Project. Archaeology International 6
Pope, M.I. 2004. Behavioural implications of biface discard: assemblage variability and land-use at the Middle Pleistocene site of Boxgrove. In Lithics In Action. Lithic Studies Society Occasional Paper 24. Oxbow Books, Oxford.
Cramp, K. and M.I.Pope. 2004. Papers in Honour of R.J.MacRae. (Special Volume 25 of Lithics: The Journal of the Lithic Studies Society): Lithic Studies Society, London.
Pope, M.I. 2003. The Earliest occupation of Sussex: Recent research and future objectives. In Rudling, D. (ed) The archaeology of Sussex to A.D. 2000. Heritage Marketing and Publication Ltd. 17-29.
Pope, M.I. 2002. The significance of biface-rich assemblages: An examination of the behavioural controls on lithic assemblage formation in the Lower Palaeolithic. Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis. University of Southampton.
Roberts, M.B. and Pope, M.I. 2001. Mapping the Boxgrove Middle Pleistocene deposits across the coastal plain of West Sussex and Eastern Hampshire. English Heritage.
Pope, M.I. 2001. New investigations at Slindon Bottom Palaeolithic Site, West Sussex: an interim report. Lithics. 22: 3-10.
Pope M.I. 2000. Lower Palaeolithic Surface finds from the northern scarp of the Downs at Kithurst Hill, West Sussex. Sussex Archaeological Collections 138.
Pope M.I. 1999. Managing the Early Prehistoric Heritage of Brighton and Hove. Consultation document for Brighton and Hove City Council.
Roberts, M.B., Parfitt, S.A., Pope, M.I. and Wenban Smith, F.F. 1997. Boxgrove, West Sussex: Rescue excavations of a Lower Palaeolithic landsurface (Boxgrove Project B 1989-1991). Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. 63: 303-358
- Lesley Blundell Early human landscape use in north west Europe (second supervisor Andrew Garrard)
- Tomos Proffitt A technological analysis of the Oldowan and Developed Oldowan assemblages from Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania (principal supervisor Ignacio de la Torre)
Completed PhD Students
Kate Emery A re-examination of variability in handaxe form in the British Palaeolithic (principal supervisor Norah Moloney)
I would welcome applications to supervise PhDs on the following topics:
- Palaeolithic use of projectiles and hunting strategies
- Middle and Lower Palaeolithic behaviour and technology: Especially in relation to landscape use, raw materials and interpretation of reduction strategies
- The origins of the Early Upper Palaeolithic in Northern Europe
- Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic archaeology in Southern Britain
- Geomorphology, sedimentation and human behaviour in the Pleistocene