- Emeritus Reader, Museum
and Heritage Studies
- Committee, EVA London Conference
- Access to and utility of museum
collections: the reasons for keeping museum collections, and the benefits
of doing so; innovative ways of using and accessing museum collections
- The use of information and communications
technologies for museum and other cultural purposes: information analysis,
multimedia interfaces and conceptual design; user requirements and usability
- Social and political context for
museums, including the effects of government policy on their operations
- Values of culture, including objects and collections, cultural organisations and landscape
- UK LASSI project, which produced
a specification for a collections management system that would cover the needs
of all UK museums, and subsequently to negotiate the procurement of that system.
- The Netful of Jewels project:
with UK national museums, to produce a report that set out the future for
museum digitisation. (to 1999)
- E-Culture Net: European Network
of Excellence project working to develop access to Europe’s cultural
heritage through a Distributed European Electronic Resource (DEER); European
Masters' in digital culture, and a Research Matrix analysing relevant research. Representative
for the UK. (to 2003)
- Institute of Archaeology, London:
Diploma in Archaeological conservation (1969) PhD, UCL: Information for managing
conservation in museums (1993)
- Conservator, then Editor, medieval
finds volume, Winchester Research Unit (1969-1977)
- Head of Conservation, the Museum
of London (1980-1990)
- Head of Department, the Museum
of London (1980-1992)
- Head of Collections Management,
the Science Museum (1992-2000)
- Keene, S, 2005. Fragments of the world: uses of museum
- Keene, S, 2002. Managing Conservation in Museums (2nd revised
edn). Butterworth Heinemann.
- Keene, S, 1998. Digital Collections:
Museums in the Information Age. Butterworth Heinemann
- Keene, S, and Monti, F, 2003. The DEER: Distributed
European Electronic Resource
FINAL REPORT. In: E-Culture Net: Work Package
6, Deliverable 11a. IST-2001-37491. http://www.eculturenet.org
- Keene, S (ed), 1999. A Netful
of Jewels: New Museums in the Learning Age. National Museums Directors'
Multimedia and web
- Museums and the Information Age.
Portal website. A resource within ADAM, the Art & Design Media Gateway
- Exploring Materials CD ROM (ed.).
Science Museum (1998)
- Keene, S, 2005. Out of the dark. Museums Journal (August). pp 26-29.
- Keene, S, 2005. Managing collections in store. In: Magasinbygningens fysk og funktion.
Museumshojskolen, Soro, Danmark. 18-22 october 2004. Postprint. Nordisk
Konservator Forbund, Danmark. 4 pp.
- Keene, S, 2005. Collections: treasure or trash? In: Politics and positioning. Museums
Australia Conference, Sydney. Museums Australia.
- Keene, S, 2004. City histories revealed. Literary and Linguistics Computing 19, 351-371. 2004. 20pp.
- Keene, S, 2004. The future of the museum in the digital age. ICOM News 57, 3, 2004. p.4. 1p.
- Keene, S, 2004. Communicating city histories. Archaeology International 2003-2004,
S, 2003. A DEER for Europe:
a Distributed European Electronic Resource. in: EVA London 2003: proceedings. Vasari: London.
S, 2002. Digital preservation:
confronting tomorrow’s problems today. The Conservator, No.26, 2002.
- Keene, S, 2002. Surviving the sands of time: Preservation of digital
cultural objects, in: K.Ono, K. (ed.).
Proceedings of the Tokyo Symposium for Digital Silk Roads, National Centre
of Sciences, Tokyo, December 2001. National Institute of Informatics.,
S, 2002. In your dreams: digital media bring to life
real collections. In: Scanning the Horizon: Proceedings of the mda conference,
Norwich, 2002. mda Information, Vol.6, no.1, pp 113-116.
Keene, S, 2002. Now you see it, now you won’t.
In: D.Bearman and J.Trant, eds. Museums
and the Web 2002. Toronto: Archives & Museum Informatics.
S, 2001. Introducing the Netful. In: Delivering Diversity: Promoting Participation. Proceedings
of the mda conference, London, September 1999. mda Information 5,
no. 3, pp 11-14.
- Keene, S, 2000. Museums in the
Digital Space, Cultivate Interactive, issue 2, October
- Keene, S, 2000. 'Scientific Instruments:
Appearance and Evidence'. In: The Restoration of Scientific Instruments,
Proceedings of the workshop held in Florence, December 14-15 1998. Istituto
e Museo di Storia della Scienza with Opificio delle Pietre Dure, Florence
- Keene, S, 1999. Book review:
Risk Assessment for Object Conservation, Jonathan Ashley-Smith. National
Preservation Office Journal, 5
- Keene, S, 1998. Public Awareness,
Audiences and Markets: Survey of Information Currently Available, in Report
on the Work of the Memorandum of Understanding on Multimedia Access to Europe's
Cultural Heritage, Working Group 2. EC DG X and DG XIII, Brussels