Institute of Archaeology
- News and Events
Mary Anne Murray
- BA, MSc, PhD
- Honorary Research Associate, UCL Institute of Archaeology
- Eastern Mediterranean and North African settlement archaeology
- The settlement of the pyramid builder's on the Giza plateau, Egypt
- The integration of archaeological data with bioarchaeological, textual, artistic, ethnographic, geomorphological and experimental evidence to investigate ancient agricultural practices and agrarian landscapes of these regions
- Quantitative methods in archaeobotanical research
- Agriculture and trade in West Africa
- The social context and material culture of ancient Egyptian food and wine production and processing
- Aceramic Neolithic agro-pastoralists in Cyprus and the establishment of a recognised Cypriot Pre-pottery Neolithic B (Cypro-PPNB) phase on the island
- Director of Archaeological Science for Ancient Egypt Research Associates (AERA) directed by Dr Mark Lehner. While we work in various parts of Egypt, our main projects are currently the excavation of the extensive settlement of the Pyramid builders and the nearby complex of Khentkawes at Giza. As director of the Giza Lab, I’m responsible for the archaeological science, material culture studies and the archaeobotany for the project.
- Collaboration with Dorian Fuller and Sam Nixon on the archaeobotany of Essouk in Mali, an early Islamic merchant town in the West African Sahel.
- “Reassessing ancient Egyptian crops, crop husbandry and the agrarian landscape” (2003-2006) - an AHRC Research Fellowship (in collaboration with Peter Ucko). The project aimed to provide a well-integrated reassessment of the diversity, distribution and use of Egyptian crops, methods of crop husbandry and the ancient agrarian landscape through integration of archaeological science and the Egyptological evidence for the ancient perceptions of these subjects.
- Previous work as a field archaeologist and/or archaeobotanist includes projects based in Egypt (Giza, Memphis, Saqqara, Abydos, Valley of the Kings, Aswan), Cyprus (Mylouthkia, Mosphilia, Ayious Savvas, Souskiou-Vathykarkas, Nicosia), Senegal, Mali, Syria, Lebanon, Ecuador, Chile, Liechtenstein, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, the Caribbean (St. Eustatius, St Martin, Anguilla) and the USA (Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts, California, New Mexico, Florida Keys).
- Co-organiser (with Dorian Fuller) of the 5th International Workshop for African Archaeobotany at the Institute on 2-5 July 2006.
- BA - University of Rhode Island
- MSc - Institute of Archaeology, University College London
- PhD - Institute of Archaeology, University College London