Institute of Archaeology
- News and Events
Chris Hudson is a museum/exhibition designer with a BA in 3D Design and a post graduate Diploma in Development Planning. His first job - working on temporary and permanent exhibitions at the British Museum - led to an interest in Latin America. Initially working as British Volunteer Programme coordinator in Ecuador, he stayed on to design the Museo Arqueológico del Banco del Pacífico in Guayaquil and later returned to work on site museums at Salango and Agua Blanca (Ecuador) and at Ollantaytambo (Peru). In the UK he designed the Kilmartin House Museum of prehistory (winner of both Gulbenkian and Scottish Museum of the Year awards) and visitor centre displays at the Sutton Hoo Anglo-Saxon burial ground (for The National Trust). Recent work includes advising the Stonehenge Project (English Heritage), an exhibition about Far East Prisoners of War, at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire, and an exhibition of medieval stonework (the Cloister Gallery) at Dorchester Abbey which was short-listed for the 2006 Gulbenkian Prize. He is currently completing new Prehistoric Wiltshire galleries for the Wiltshire Museum in Devizes, which will open in October 2013, to house one of the best Bronze Age collections in the UK.
- Museum design and heritage interpretation
- Public engagement with heritage
- Widening access to heritage
- Community museums
- Community tourism
- Stone circles
- Dorchester Abbey Cloister Gallery Journal of the Institute of Historic Building Conservation, 2006.
- Close to the wind: archaeology and landscape interpretation in Scotland. MUSEUM International No 200, Unesco 1998.
- Archaeology and community: a village museum in Ecuador (with Colin McEwan and Maria-Isabel Silva). MUSEUM International No 178, Unesco 1993.
- Architects! A village museum in Ecuador. Museum Design No 3. Group of Designers & Interpreters in Museums, 1990.
- Quincha (Traditional technique for rendering coastal buildings). TRAMA Architectural Magazine No 49. Quito, 1990.
- Comunidad e arqueología en Manabí (Community and archaeology in Manabí). Revista de Arqueología No 1, ARAS. Guayaquil, Ecuador, 1990.
- Diseño museográfico - ciudad y campo (Museum design - town and country). Department of Architecture, University of Cuenca. Ecuador, January 1990.
- Focussing pride in the past - Agua Blanca, Ecuador (with Colin McEwan). MUSEUM No 154, Unesco 1987.
- Museo - experiencia educacional animativa (English title: Museum - container or contained?). TRAMA Architectural Magazine No 15. Quito, October 1979.