- Most of Dafydd Griffiths' archaeological
interests centre around the microstructural, chemical and physical analysis
of inorganic archaeological artefacts with a view to understanding the origins
of the raw materials, the technological processes by which the artefacts are
manufactured, and the processes by which they change, weather, corrode and
decay during use and burial. Weathering studies assist in the interpretation
of analytical data from artefacts, and also provide an informed basis for
the design and assessment of methods for conserving the information content
of archaeological artefacts.
- Dafydds' interest in applying
phyicochemical analytical approaches to improving archaeological understanding
includes developing improved methods for facilitating these analyses and adapting
methods and equipment so that they can be used in the field. Experimental
replication of technological processes is also an area of interest.
- Man's interaction with the geological
environment is a further area of current interest, both in terms of exploitation
of geological resources in general and particularly in terms of Man's interaction
with volcanic events and materials.
Research Directory Records
- Multi-period excavations in the
port city of Sidon, Lebanon, with British Museum and Lebanese DGA.
- International Merv Project (glass
and ceramic analyses)
- BSc: University College Cardiff
(Archaeology and Archaeological Conservation)
- PhD: University College London
(Archaeological applications of electron spin resonance spectroscopy)
- Allué,E., Griffiths,D. (2006). Identification of wood from Bronze Age contexts at Sidon. Archaeology and History in the Lebanon 24, 23-33. ISSN: 1475-5564
- Griffiths,D. (2006). Analysis of Egyptian faience vessel fragments excavated in Sidon in 2005. Archaeology and History in the Lebanon 24, 129-137. ISSN: 1475-5564
- Griffiths,D. (2006). Petrographic analysis of the Early Bronze Age ceramics. in Doumet-Serhal,C. (ed.) The Early Bronze Age in Sidon. Bibliothèque Archéologique et Historique series. Beirut: Institut Francais du Proche-Orient, 279-290. ISBN: 0768-2506
- Griffiths,D., Ownby,M. (2006). Assessing the occurence of Egyptian Marl C ceramics in Middle Bronze Age Sidon. Archaeology and History in the Lebanon 24, 63-77. ISSN: 1475-5564
- Dafydd Griffiths, (December 2004), Petrographic analysis of jars from the second
millennium BC at Sidonin Doumet-Serhal, C. (ed.) Decade: a decade of archaeology
and history in the Lebanon London: AHL, 136-145.
- Dafydd Griffiths, (December 2004), Elemental analysis of six tin-lead toy watches
from London.In Forsyth, H. (ed.) Toys, trifles and trinkets: base-metal
minatures from London 1200-1800, London: Museum of London, 424-435.
- Eleni Asouti & Dafydd Griffiths, (October 2004), Two fragments of wood
from burial 27, Archaeology and History in Lebanon, 20,
- Dafydd Griffiths, (April 2004), The fabric of a ceramic jar from Sidon decorated
with fish or dolphins, Archaeology and History in Lebanon, 19,
- Dafydd Griffiths, (2003), “Petrographic analysis of MBA burial jars from
Sidon”, Archaeology and History in Lebanon, 17, 17-21.
- Dafydd Griffiths, 2003, “Petrographic analysis on pottery from Tomb IV
at Tell el Rachidieh”, Archaeology and History in Lebanon, 17, 58-59.
- A.M. Feuerbach, D.R. Griffiths & J.F. Merkel, 2003, “Early Islamic
Crucible Steel production at Merv, Turkmenistan” in P.Craddock & J.Lang
(eds.) Mining and Metal Production through the Ages, London: British Museum
- Eleni Asouti & Dafydd Griffiths, 2003, “Identification of wood used
in the construction of the ‘Sunken Room’ at Sidon”, Archaeology
and History in Lebanon, 18, 62-69.
- Claude Doumet-Serhal & Dafydd Griffiths, 2003, Middle Bronze Age jars from
Lebanon: a comparison according to vessel capacities, Archaeology
and History in Lebanon, 17, 38-41.
- Griffiths, D, 2000. Uses of volcanic
products in antiquity, in W B McGuire, D R Griffiths, P L Hancock & I S Stewart
(eds), The Archaeology of Geological Catastrophes. London: Geological
Society Special Publications, 171, 15-23
- Griffiths, D R, 2000. Optical microscopy
of earth materials in remote locations, Microscopy and Analysis, 79,
- Griffiths, D, R, & Feuerbach, A,
M, 2000. Crucible steel manufacture at Merv in the early Islamic period, Archaeology
- Harris, E, J & Griffiths, D R, 2000.
Composition and technology of some Early English silver coins, British Numismatic
Journal, 69, 37- 46
- Proctor, J, Sabel, K, Meddens, F
M, Griffiths, D R & Harris, E J, 2000. Post-mediaeval brick clamps at New Cross
in London, Post- Mediaeval Archaeology, 34, 187-202
- Griffiths, D R, 1999. The role of
interdisciplinary science in the study of ancient pottery, Interdisciplinary
Science Reviews, 24(4), 289-300
- Griffiths, D R, 1999. The role of
ceramic fabric analysis in the 1998 Sidon excavations, National Museum News,
- Griffiths, D R, & Feuerbach, A, 1999.
Thermal processing in the last millenium, Materials World, the Journal of
the Institute of Materials, August 1999, 472-474
- Alice Paterakis The formation of acetate corrosion on Bronze Art and Antiquites: recommendations for conseravtion, storage and exhibition (principal supervisor John Merkel)