- MA, MPhil, PhD
- Honorary Research Associate
- Research Affiliate, University of Nairobi, Kenya, Department of History & Archaeology
- The practice of conservation as a tool for conflict resolution
- Analysis of potential partnership in the practice of conservation of natural and cultural heritage
- Preventive and partnership approaches to the conservation of tangible and intangible heritage
- The practice of heritage conservation as a medium of social integrity
- Study of ethics and legal issues surrounding conservation practices and principles in conflict and post conflict contexts
Research Directory Records
Current Research Projects
- Conservation and Development Network
- Project Coordinator ‘Heritage Conservation and Human Rights’ (HCHR), University of Nairobi, Department of History and Archaeology. The HCHR Group was established by Dr Anne Marie Deisser and Dr Ephraim Wahome in October 2012. The purpose of the Group is to provide a forum of research for those involved in the study and practice of conservation in the field of cultural and natural heritage with a focus on Human Rights.
- Consultant in heritage conservation (community-ecotourism project) - Medhane Alem Church & Monastery, Ankober, Ethiopia.
- Expert in heritage conservation (condition assessment of museum ethnographic collection) - European Commission, University of Nairobi, National Museums of Kenya (NMK), Kenya.
- Consultant in preventive conservation (collection of 17th century Flemish tapestries) Provincial Government of Liege, Institut Royal du Patrimoine Artistique, Brussels, Belgium.
- Consultant in preventive conservation (collections in storage) - National Museums of Ethiopia, Institute of Ethiopian Studies, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Consultant in preventive conservation (collections on display) – Institute of Ethiopian Studies, University of Addis Ababa, Faculty of Archaeology, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Affiliated conservator, Kurdish Textile Museum, the Kurdish Textile Museum, Erbil, Iraq.
- PhD, University of Southampton, United Kingdom: ‘Investigating partnerships between local and institutional communities for the preventive conservation of cultural heritage in East Africa’, 2007
- MPhil, Conservation, Textile Conservation Centre, University of Southampton, United Kingdom, 2003
- MA in Textile Conservation, Textile Conservation Centre, Winchester School of Arts, University of Southampton, 2001
- Deisser, A., and Sipan, L. 2012. Decorative art or art practice? The conservation of textiles in the Kurdish autonomous region of Iraq, Studies in Conservation, Volume 57, 80-86.
- Deisser, A., Sipan, L. & Miles, R. 2011. Conservation as a process of representation: the Kurdish Textile Museum of Erbil, NATCC 2011, Oaxaca de Juarez, Mexico, November 8th–11th, Plying the Trades: Pulling Together in the 21st Century [CD-ROM], pp. 137–54.
- Deisser, A. and Eastop, D. 2010. Expanding the benefits of cultural heritage conservation. The European Year of Volunteering. ICON News, Issue 31 (November 2010) pp. 30-31.
- Deisser, A. 2009. The European conference on civil society organisations active in the field of heritage (March 23-24, 2009, Mechelen, Belgium): ‘Heritage Care through Active Citizenship’. ICON News, Issue 23 (June 2009), 28-29.
- Deisser, A. 2009. The socio cultural impact of the preservation of an historical site on the conservation of tangible and intangible heritage: the case of the Citadel of Erbil and the Kurdish Textile Museum. In: F. LE DUC, ed. Culture as a tool for development: challenges of analysis and action. Brussels: Arcade, Acted & European Commission, 128-135.
- Deisser, A. and Eastop, D. 2008. Traditions and conventions in the care of tangible and intangible heritage in Ankober, Ethiopia: a partnership model in practice. In: J. BRIDGLAND, ed. Preprints ICOM Committee for Conservation, 15th Triennial Conference New Delhi, 22-26 September 2008. New Delhi: Allied Publishers, 1029-1034.
- Wahome, E. and Deisser, A. 2007. Issues in condition assessment: the case study of ethnographic collections at the National Museums of Kenya. In: ed. M. Munene, The colonial legacy of colonialism in Kenya. Nairobi: USIU.
- Wahome, E. & Deisser, A. 2006. The Karen Blixen house: the challenges associated with the conservation of historic buildings and collections. Africa Habitat Review, 1(1): 17–28.