- BSc, PhD, FSA
- ERC Research Associate, EUROEVOL Project
- Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries
Archaeobotany; the origins, spread and development of Neolithic farming in SW Asia and Europe; plant domestication; the early prehistory of SW Asia and the Eastern Mediterranean; quantitative methods in archaeobotany.
Research Directory Records
- Antikythera Survey Project
- Azraq Project, Jordan
- Cultivating Societies
- Cultural Evolution of Neolithic Europe (EUROEVOL)
- Early Farming in Dalmatia
- Neanderthals and Modern Humans in the Palaeolithic of Europe and Western Asia
- Origins and Spread of Stock-Keeping in the Near East and Europe
- Qadisha Valley Project, Lebanon
- Jerablus Tahtani Project: Bronze Age Syria; archaeobotany (Professor Eddie Peltenburg, School of History, Classics and Archaeology, University of Edinburgh)
- Kissonerga Mylouthkia: Pre-Pottery Neolithic and Chalcolithic Cyprus; archaeobotany (Dr Paul Croft, Archaeological Research Centre, Paphos, Cyprus)
- Ais Yiorkis: Pre-Pottery Neolithic Cyprus; archaeobotany (Professor Alan Simmons, Department of Anthropology, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, USA)
- Complex Hunter-Gatherers of the Trent Valley, Ontario: Middle Woodland Canada; archaeobotany (Dr James Conolly, Department of Anthropology, Trent University, Ontario, CA)
- Qarassa excavations: Epipalaeolithic and Pre-Pottery Neolithic Syria; archaeobotany (Dr Lydia Zapata-Peña, Department of Geography, Prehistory and Archaeology, University of the Basque Country, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain)
- Dhra: Pre-pottery Neolithic Jordan, archaeobotany (Professor Bill Finlayson, CBRL, Amman, Jordan; Professor Ian Kuijt, Department of Anthropology, University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA)
- 1976 BSc Archaeology and Geology, University of Birmingham
- 1994 PhD Archaeology University of Sheffield. Thesis title: Plant Exploitation on Epipalaeolithic and Early Neolithic Sites in the Levant
Publications (from 1990-present):
- Colledge, S. and Conolly, J. (eds) 2007 The Origins and Spread of Domestic Crops in Southwest Asia and Europe. Left Coast Press, Walnut Creek, California.
- Colledge, S. 2001 Plant Exploitation on Epipalaeolithic and Early Neolithic Sites in the Levant. BAR International Series 986.
- Conolly, J., Colledge, S., Dobney, K., Vigne, J.-D., Peters, J., Stopp, B., Manning, K. and Shennan, S. 2011 Meta-analysis of zooarchaeological data from SW Asia and SE Europe provides insight into the origins and spread of animal husbandry. Journal of Archaeological Science 38(3):538-545.
- Colledge, S. and Conolly, J. 2010 Reassessing the evidence for the cultivation of wild crops during the Younger Dryas at Tell Abu Hureyra, Syria. Environmental Archaeology 15(2):124-138.
- Palmer, C., Colledge, S., Bevan, A. and Conolly, J. 2010 Vegetation recolonisation of abandoned agricultural terraces on Antikythera, Greece. Environmental Archaeology 15(1), 64-80.
- Hunt, H.V., Vander Linden, M., Lui, X., Motuzaite-Matuzeviciute, G., Colledge, S. and Jones, M. 2008 Millets across Eurasia: chronology and context of early records of the genera Panicum and Setaria from archaeological sites in the Old World. Vegetation History and Archaeobotany 17 Supplement 1, S5-S18.
- Conolly, J., Colledge, S. and Shennan, S. 2008 Founder effect, drift, and adaptive change in domestic crop use in early neolithic Europe. Journal of Archaeological Science 35(10), 2797-2804.
- Coward, F., Shennan, S., Colledge, S., Conolly, J. and Collard, M. 2008 The Spread of Neolithic Plant Economies from the Near East to Northwest Europe: a phylogenetic Analysis. Journal of Archaeological Science 35(1), 42-56.
- Colledge, S. 2007 Chapter 20. The Copper Age carbonised plant remains. In L. Barfield Excavations in the Riparo Valtenesi, Manerba, 1976-1994. Istituto italiano di preistoria e protostoria, Firenze, 400-413.
- Richter, T., Colledge, S., Luddy, S., Jones, D., Jones, M., Maher, L. and Kelly, R. 2007 Preliminary report on the 2006 season at Epipalaeolithic ‘Ayn Qasiyya, Azraq Ash-Shīshān. Annual of the Department of Antiquities of Jordan 51, 313-328.
- Colledge, S. and Conolly, J. 2007 The neolithisation of the Balkans: a review of the archaeobotanical evidence. In P. Biagi and M. Spataro (eds) A Short Walk through the Balkans: the first farmers of the Carpathian basin and its adjacent regions. Quaderno 12, Atti della Società per la Preistoria e Protostoria della Regione Friuli Venezia Giulia. Trieste, 25-38.
- Colledge, S. and Conolly, J. 2007 A review and synthesis of the evidence for the origins of farming on Cyprus and Crete. In S. Colledge and J. Conolly (eds) The Origins and Spread of Domestic Crops in Southwest Asia and Europe. Left Coast Press, Walnut Creek, California, 53-74.
- Bending, J. and Colledge, S. 2007 The Archaeobotanical Assemblages. In N. Postgate and D. Thomas (eds) Excavations at Kilise Tepe, 1994-98, from Bronze Age to Byzantine in Western Cilicia, pp.583-595 & Appendix I. McDonald Institute Monographs, Cambridge.
- Colledge, S., Conolly, J. and Shennan, S. 2005 The evolution of Neolithic farming from SW Asian origins to NW European limits. European Journal of Archaeology. 8/2, 137-156.
- Colledge, S., Conolly, J. and Shennan, S. 2004 Archaeobotanical Evidence for the Spread of Farming in the Eastern Mediterranean. Current Anthropology Volume 45 Supplement, S35-S58.
- Colledge, S. 2004 Chapter 5: Reappraisal of the archaeobotanical evidence for the emergence and dispersal of the ‘founder crops’. In E. Peltenburg and A. Wasse (eds) Neolithic Revolution: New perspectives on south-west Asia in the light of recent discoveries in Cyprus. Levant Supplementary Series Volume 1. Oxbow Books, Oxford, 49-60.
- Colledge, S. 2003 Chapter 21: The charred plant remains in three of the pits. In E. Peltenburg (ed) The Colonisation and Settlement of Cyprus. Investigations at Kissonerga-Mylouthkia 1976-1996. Studies in Mediterranean Archaeology LXX:4, Paul Åströms förlag, Sävedalen, 239-245.
- Nesbitt, M., Colledge, S. and Murray, M.A. 2003 Organisation and Management of Seed Reference Collections. Environmental Archaeology 8, 77-84.
- Colledge, S. 2003 Plants and People. In R. Matthews (ed) Excavations at Tell Brak. Vol. 4, Exploring an upper Mesopotamian regional centre, 1994-1996. Cambridge, McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research; British School of Archaeology in Iraq, 389-416.
- Colledge, S. 2002 Identifying pre-domestication cultivation in the archaeobotanical record using multivariate analysis: presenting the case for quantification. In R.T.J. Cappers and S. Bottema (eds) The Dawn of Farming in the Near East. Studies in Early Near Eastern Production, Subsistence and Environment 6. Berlin, ex oriente, 141-152.
- Jones, M.K. and Colledge, S. 2001 Archaeobotany and the transition to agriculture. In D.R. Brothwell and A.M Pollard (eds) Handbook of Archaeological Sciences. Chichester. John Wiley & Sons, 393-401.
- Hillman, G.C., Hedges, R., Moore, A., Colledge, S. and Pettitt, P. 2001 New Evidence of Late Glacial cereal cultivation at Abu Hureyra on the Euphrates. The Holocene 11(4), 383-393.
- Colledge, S. 2001 Final report on the archaeobotanical analyses. In R.J. Matthews and J.N. Postgate, Contextual analysis of the use of space at two Near Eastern Bronze Age sites: Tell Brak (north-eastern Syria) and Kilise Tepe (southern Turkey). York ADS Electronic archive: http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/projArch/TellBrak/
- Peltenburg, E., Colledge, S., Croft, P., Jackson, A., McCartney, C. and Murray, M.A. 2001 Neolithic dispersals from the Levantine Corridor: a Mediterranean perspective. Levant 33, 35-64.
- Colledge, S. 2000 Charred plant remains. In R.D. Whitehouse, J.B. Wilkins and E. Herring (eds) Botromagno, Excavation and Survey at Gravina in Puglia 1979-1985. Accordia Specialist Studies on Italy volume 9, Accordia Research Institute, University of London, 53-60.
- Peltenburg, E., Colledge, S., Croft, P., Jackson, A., McCartney, C. and Murray, M.A. 2000 Agro-pastoralist colonisation of Cyprus in the 10th millennium BP: initial assessments. Antiquity 74, 844-853.
- Colledge, S. 2000 The charred plant remains. In N. Sharples, The Iron Age and Norse Settlement at Bornish, South Uist: An interim report on the 2000 excavations. Cardiff Studies in Archaeology, Specialist Report 18. School of History and Archaeology, Cardiff University, 22-24.
- Colledge, S.M. 1998 Identifying Pre-domestication Cultivation Using Multivariate Analysis. In A.B. Damania, J. Valkoun, G Willcox and C.O. Qualset (eds) The Origins of Agriculture and Crop Domestication. ICARDA, Aleppo, Syria, 121-131.
- Colledge, S.M. 1998 Dhuweila: Botanical Remains. In A.V.G. Betts (ed) The Harra and the Hamad – Excavations and Explorations in Eastern Jordan. (volume 1) Sheffield Archaeological Monographs 9, Sheffield, Sheffield Academic Press, 185-189.
- Charles, M.P., Colledge, S.M. and Monk, M. 1997 Appendix 6: Plant Remains. In P. Barker et al. The Baths Basilica, Wroxeter Excavations 1966-1990. London, English Heritage, Archaeological Report 8, 324-345.
- Garrard, A.N., Colledge, S.M. and Martin, L. 1996 The emergence of crop cultivation and caprine herding in the ‘Marginal Zone’ of the southern Levant. In D.R. Harris (ed) The origins and spread of agriculture and pastoralism in Eurasia. London, UCL Press, 204-226.
- Jones, G., Charles, M., Colledge, S.M. and Halstead, P. 1995 Towards the archaeobotanical recognition of winter-cereal irrigation: An Investigation of modern weed ecology in northern Spain. In H. Kroll and R. Pasternak (eds) Res Archaeobotanicae – International Workgroup for Palaeoethnobotany (Proceedings of the 9th Symposium, Kiel 1992). Kiel, Oetker-Voges-Verlag, 49-68.
- Garrard, A.N., Baird, D., Colledge, S.M., Martin, L. and Wright, K. 1994 Prehistoric environment and settlement in the Azraq Basin: an interim report in the 1987 and 1986 seasons. Levant XXVI, 73-109.
- Byrd, B. and Colledge, S.M. 1991 Early Natufian occupation along the edge of the southern Jordanian Steppe. In O. Bar-Yosef and F. Valla (eds) The Natufian Culture in the Levant. International Monographs in Prehistory, Ann Arbor, Michegan, 265-276.
- Colledge, S.M. 1991 Investigations of plant remains preserved in Epipalaeolithic sites in the Near East. In O. Bar-Yosef and F. Valla (eds) The Natufian Culture in the Levant. International Monographs in Prehistory, Ann Arbor, Michegan, 391-398.
- Leilani Lucas Economy and interaction: Exploring archaeobotanical contributions in Prehistoric Cyprus (Joint secondary supervisor with Cyprian Broodbank)
- Amaia Arranz (PhD - University of the Basque Country)