- BSc, PhD, FSA
- Lecturer in Dendrochronology
Main interests include the use of tree-rings
in dating historic timbers and the relationships between tree-rings and various
influences on growth, including climate, woodland management and natural pests.
Contract work (mostly for English Heritage and County Councils, but also individuals,
heritage groups etc.) specialising in the dating of medieval and post-medieval
standing buildings and artefacts.
Research Directory Records
- Dating standing buildings
- Dendrochronological dating of chests
- Dendrochronological dating of early doors
- Dendrochronological dating of the Mary Rose
- Interrogating archaeological data for climatic information
- A long-term study on the timbers of the Tudor warship Mary Rose is ongoing with the Mary Rose Trust (Portsmouth), in particular with Christopher Dobbs.
- Work carried out with the Auckland University Dendrochronology Laboratory in New Zealand, with Gretel Boswijk, Anthony Fowler and John Ogden.
- Regular contract work is undertaken for English Heritage Scientific Dating Section.
- 1979 BSc in Botany (Bristol)
- 1983 PhD in Dendrochronology (CNAA)
- 1992 Cert Teaching in Higher Education (City of London Polytechnic)
Over 120 reports on dendrochronological investigations carried out for English Heritage, please contact Martin Bridge for details.
- Bridge, M.C. (2012) Locating the origins of wood resources: a review of dendroprovenancing. Journal of Archaeological Science
- Bridge,M.C. (2011) Resource Exploitation and Wood Mobility in Northern European Oak: dendroprovenancing of individual timbers from the Mary Rose (1510/11 - 1545), International Journal of Nautical Archaeology, 40,417-23.
- Bridge,M.C. and Miles,D. (2011) A review of the information gained from dendrochronologically dated chests in England, Regional Furniture, XXV, 25-55.
- Miles,D. and Bridge,M.C. (2010) The Chapter House Doors and their Dating. Chapt 14 in: Westminster Chapter House: the history, art and architecture of 'A Chapter House Beyond Compare', eds Rodwell,W. and Mortimer,R., Society of Antiquities, London.
- Bridge,M.C. (2009) The contribution of dendrochronology to church archaeology, Church Archaeology, 10, 43-49.
- Bridge,M.C. (2009) Tree Ring Analysis, in: Hill Hall: a singular house devised by a Tudor intellectual, eds Drury,P. and Simpson,R. Section 5.4, 362-366. Society of Antiquaries, London.
- Dobbs,C. and Bridge,M.C. (2008) Construction and Refits: Tree-Ring Dating the Mary Rose, Chapt 19 in ed Marsden,P. Your Noblest Shippe. Mary Rose: anaotomy of a Tudor warship, Mary Rose Trust, Portsmouth.
- Bridge,M.C. (2006). Windmills: ages revealed by tree-ring dating. Mill News 106, 10-11. ISSN: 1469-0551
- Rodwell, W., Miles, D., Hamilton, D., Bridge, M. (2006). The Dating of the Pyx Door. English Heritage Historical Review 1(1), 24-27. ISSN: 1752-0169
- Bridge, M.C. (2004) Dendrochronology, in Encyclopedia of Geology (Richard C. Selley, L. Robin M. Cocks and Ian R. Plimer, eds.), Elsevier, Oxford, Vol 1, pp 387-392.
- Bridge, M.C. (2004) A report on the investigation of tree-ring samples from Ra’s al-Khaimah, UAE. Proceedings of the Seminar for Arabian Studies 34, 149-156. Archaeopress, Oxford
- Bridge, M.C. (2004) List 145, Vernacular Architecture 35, 73-75
- Miles, D., Worthington, M. and Bridge, M. (2004) List 152, Vernacular Architecture 35, 94-104.
- Bridge, M.C. and Miles, D. (2004) The Dendrochronology of Doors. Paper given at the EuroDendro 2004 meeting, Regensberg, Germany, September 2004 (Unpublished).
- Bridge, M. C. (2003) Dating and Chronology. In: (Eds) Bogucki, P and Crabtree, P.J., Ancient Europe 8000 B.C. to A.D. 1000: Encyclopedia of the Barbarian World, Charles Scribner’s Sons, Farmington Hills, MI, 40-46. (ISBN 0-684-80668-1)
- Bridge, M.C. (2003) Nutley Windmill: a dendrochronological investigation, Sussex Industrial History, 33, 32-35.
- Bridge, M. C. (2003) Stories from tree rings. The Dendrologist, 15(2), 1-2
- Bridge, M.C. (2003) Dendrochronological dates. List 134 Vernacular Architecture 34, 91-95.
- Miles, D., Worthington, M. and Bridge, M. (2003) List 140, Vernacular Architecture 34, 109-115.
- Bridge, M.C. and Stenning, D. F. (2002) The Bell, The Endway, Great Easton. Essex Archaeology and History 33, 433.
- Miles, D.H.W., and Bridge, M. C. (2002). The tree-ring dating of building timbers, the yew tunnel and other trees at Aberglasney House and Gardens, Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire. In Blockley, K. and Halfpenny, I. (eds), Aberglasney House and Gardens, archaeology, history and architecture. Oxford: BAR. British Series 334, pp. 104-110.
- Bridge, M. C. (2001). List 115. Vernacular Architecture 32: 70-74
- Fowler, A., Boswijk, G., and Bridge, M.C. (2001). Tree-ring analysis of sub-fossil kauris (Agathis australis) from Furniss Road, Waikato. Dept of Geography Working Paper 15, University of Auckland
- Fowler, A., Boswijk, G., and Bridge, M.C. (2001) Tree-ring analysis ofsub-fossil kauris (Agathis australis) from Pukekapia Road, Waikato. Dept of Geography Working Paper 16, University of Auckland
- Tree rings and time: recent historical studies in England (2001), Archaeology International.
- 'Can dendrochronology be used to indicate the source of oak within Britain? ' Vernacular Architecture 31 (2000).
- 'La residence noble en Bretagne du XII au XVI siecles: un synthese illustre par quelques exemples morbihanais ' (with Meirion-Jones, G., Jones, M.C.E., Moir, A.K. and Shewan, D.) Bull. et Mem. de la Soc. Polymathique du Morbihan 126 (2000) 27-103.
- 'An evaluation of standard oak tree growth in Ruislip woods, West London ' (with V. Winchester) Botanical Journal of the Linnaean Society 134 (2000) 61-71.
- 'Preliminary results from dendrochronological studies on the Mary Rose.' in J. Litwin (ed.) Proceedings of the VIIIth Int Symp on Boat and Ship Archaeology, 1997, Polish Maritime Museum (2000) 253-258.