- Licentiate, MPhil, PhD
- Lecturer in Geoarchaeology
- British Academy Postdoctoral Research Fellow 2011-14
- Course Co-ordinator (with Kevin MacDonald): ARCL1003 World Archaeology: the deep history of human societies
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCL1003A World Archaeology: evolutionary origins to the earliest states
- Course Co-ordinator (with Kevin MacDonald): ARCL1018 World Archaeology: an outline of the deep history of human societies (for BA Archaeology & Anthropology students only)
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCL2017 Geoarchaeology
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCLG104 Geoarchaeology: Methods and Concepts
- Section Editor (Environmental Archaeology), Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology (Springer)
- Geoarchaeology, especially soil micromorphology
- South American pre-Columbian history
- Historical Ecology and Landscape/Plant domestication
- Human Niche-Building
- Cultural Transmission
- Anthropogenic soils
Research Directory Records
- Amazonian Dark Earths in Western Amazonia PI of a British Academy (UK)-funded research project focused on the archaeology of the Napo River, in collaboration with Fernanda Ugalde (Pontifical Catholic University, Ecuador) and Santiago Rivas Panduro (Peruvian Culture Ministry, Loreto Division, Peru).
- The Cotúa Island Reflexive Archaeology Project Co-PI of a Leverhulme Trust-funded project led by Dr Jose Oliver (UCL) and focused on the archaeology of Cotúa Island, middle Orinoco River.
- Geoarchaeology of Nebelivka, Ukraine. Ongoing research line as part of an AHRC(UK)-funded project led by Dr John Chapman (Durham University).
- Geoarchaeology of Tierra del Fuego, Chile. Ongoing research line as part of a FONDECYT(Chile)-funded research project led by Flavia Morello (Universidad de Magallanes).
- Geoarchaeology of Kelabit Highlands, Sarawak. Ongoing research line as part of a NRF(Korea)-funded project led by Dr Lindsay Lloyd-Smith (Sogang University).
- Neotropical Historical Ecology workshop: supported by the British Academy and held at the UCL Institute of the Americas in June 2014. Participants currently working towards developing an edited volume based on the workshop.
- Lathrap Colloquium: the first meeting was held as day-long workshop in the 2014 SALSA Sesquiannual meeting, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Amazonia, a Landscape Provocation: Ongoing scholarly project to develop an account of the human history of Amazonia, the world’s largest rainforest.
- PhD Archaeology (University of Cambridge, 2008)
- MPhil Archaeological Science (University of Cambridge, 1999)
- Licentiate in Anthropology, specialising in Archaeology (Universidad de Chile, 1998)
- Oliver Boles Lasting impressions: enduring signatures of pastoralist settlement sites in eastern Africa and their implications for archaeology (principal supervisor Andrew Reid, joint second supervisor with Mark Altaweel)
- Lindsay Duncan The study of archaeological deposits to examine local soil formation at Marco Gonzalez, Ambergris Caye, Belize: investigating the potential for Life-Cycle Assessment in Archaeology (joint prinicipal supervisors Elizabeth Graham and Julia Stegemann)
- Gail Hammond Ancient Maya settlement and the Alacranes Bajo: landscape and communities in the Three Rivers Region (principal supervisor Elizabeth Graham)
- Natalia Lozada Mendieta Ancient pots, potters and communities of practice in the Atures Rapids, Middle Orinoco River, Venezuela (principal supervisor Jose Oliver)
- Bruna Rocha Regional archaeology of the Upper Tapajos River (principal supervisor Jose Oliver)