Roger Bland - Honorary Lecturer
Roger Bland retired in 2015 as Keeper of the Department of Britain, Europe & Prehistory at the British Museum. He was formerly a curator in the Department of Coins and Medals and was seconded to the Department for Culture, Media and Sport from 1994 to 2003. Roger was responsible for the Portable Antiquities Scheme, a project to record all archaeological objects found by the public in England and Wales, and for the operation of the Treasure Act.
He is President of the British Numismatic Society, Vice-President of the Royal Numismatic Society, Visiting Professor at the University of Leicester and a Senior Fellow of the MacDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, University of Cambridge. He completed his PhD on The Coinage of Gordian III from the mints of Antioch and Caesarea at UCL in 1991. Roger was awarded the Royal Numismatic Society's medal for 2014.
- Portable Antiquities
- Deposition of metalwork
- Roman numismatics
- Cultural property issues
Selected recent publications
- The gold coinage of Philip I and family, Revue Numismatique 171, 2014, pp.93-149.
- What happened to gold coinage in the 3rd Century AD?, Journal of Roman Archaeology 26, 2013, pp. 263-280.
- Presidential Address 2012: Hoarding in Britain: an overview, British Numismatic Journal 83, 2013, pp.214-238.
- Hoarding in Britain from the Bronze Age to the
20th century: an overview in J. Naylor (ed.), Proceedings of Hoarding and Deposition of Metalwork Conference,
British Museum 2011, BAR British Series 615, 2015.
- Finds of late Roman silver coins from Britain: the contribution of the Portable Antiquities Scheme (with Sam Moorhead and Philippa Walton) in Fraser Hunter and Kenneth Painter (eds.), Late Roman Silver: the Traprain treasure in context, Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 2013, pp. 117-66.
- From Gordian III to the Gallic Empire (AD 238-74) in W E Metcalf (ed.), Handbook of Greek and Roman Coinage, Oxford University Press 2012, pp. 514-37.
- The coinage of Vabalathus and Zenobia from Antioch and Alexandria, Numismatic Chronicle 171, 2011, pp. 133-86.
- Anonymous half-siliquae of the late 4th century AD, Numismatic Chronicle 2010, pp. 205-14 and pls. 13-14.
- The Frome Hoard (with Sam Moorhead and Anna Booth), BM Press, 2010
- Roman and early Byzantine gold coins found in Britain and Ireland (with Xavier Loriot), Royal Numismatic Society Special Publication 46, 2010 (winner of the Prix Allier de Hauteroche, Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres for the best book on ancient numismatics).