Marilena Alivizatou - Honorary Senior Research Associate
Marilena Alivizatou specialises in the critical examination of intangible heritage, which was the subject of her PhD (UCL 2009) and monograph Intangible Heritage and the Museum: New Perspectives on Cultural Preservation (Left Coast Press/Routledge, 2012).
She was Senior Research Associate on the FP7 Collaborative Research Project i-Treasures (UCL 2013-17) and Teaching Fellow in Museum and Heritage Studies (UCL 2009-12). She has worked as researcher and consultant with museums and heritage organisations in Europe, the Middle East and Southeast Asia.
Marilena is currently researching participatory methods for safeguarding intangible heritage by examining community participation with perspectives from critical heritage, museology and participatory development.
- Participatory approaches in safeguarding intangible heritage
- Digital intangible heritage, new technologies and cultural transmission
- Impact of intangible heritage nominations locally and internationally
Research collaboration with Beverley Butler and lecturing on the MA in Cultural Heritage Studies.
- Alivizatou M. (in preparation). Intangible Heritage and Community Participation. Routledge
- Alivizatou M. 2012. Intangible Heritage and the Museum: New Perspectives on Cultural Preservation. Left Coast Press/ Routledge
- Alivizatou, M. (forthcoming). Digital Intangible Heritage: Inventories, Virtual Learning and Participation, Heritage & Society
- Denes, A, P. Koanantakool, P. Davis, C. Kreps, K. Hennessy, M. Alivizatou & M. Stefano. 2013. Critical Reflections on Safeguarding Culture: The Intangible Cultural Heritage and Museums Fieldschool in Lamphun, Thailand, Heritage & Society 6 (1): 4-23.
- Alivizatou M. 2012. Debating Heritage Authenticity: Kastom and Development at the Vanuatu Cultural Centre, International Journal of Heritage Studies 18 (2): 124-43
- Alivizatou, M. 2011. Intangible Heritage and Erasure: Rethinking Cultural Preservation and Contemporary Museum Practice, International Journal of Cultural Property 18 (1):37-60
- Alivizatou M. 2008. The Politics of ‘Arts Premiers’: Some Thoughts on the Musée du Quai Branly, Museological Review 13: 44-56.
- Alivizatou, M. 2007. The UNESCO Programme for the Proclamation of Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity: A Critical Examination, Journal of Museum Ethnography 19: 34-42.
Chapters in Edited Volumes
- Alivizatou, M. (et al.) 2017. Intangible Cultural Heritage and New Technologies: Challenges and Opportunities for Cultural Heritage Preservation and Development, in Ioannides, M. (ed.) Mixed Reality and Gamification for Cultural Heritage, 129-158. Springer
- Alivizatou M. 2012. The Paradoxes of Intangible Heritage, in Stefano, M. et al. (eds.) Negotiating and Valuing the Intangible, 9-22. Boydell & Brewer