Marilena Alivizatou - Honorary Senior Research Associate
Marilena Alivizatou specialises in the critical examination of intangible heritage, which was the subject of her PhD (UCL 2009) and monograph ‘Intangible Heritage and the Museum: New Perspectives on Cultural Preservation’ (LCP/Routledge, 2012). She was Senior Research Associate on the FP7 Collaborative Research Project i-Treasures (UCL 2013-17) and Teaching Fellow in Museum and Heritage Studies (UCL 2009-12). She has worked as researcher and consultant with museums and heritage institutions in Europe, the Middle East and Southeast Asia.
- Museums, intangible heritage and participatory practices
- Digital intangible heritage, new technologies and cultural transmission
- Impact of intangible heritage nominations locally and internationally
- The ‘Mediterranean Diet’ as wellbeing and development narrative
Research collaboration with Beverley Butler on heritage and wellbeing and lecturing on the MA in Cultural Heritage Studies.
Selected recent publications
- Alivizatou M. 2012. Intangible Heritage and the Museum: New Perspectives on Cultural Preservation, Left Coast Press/ Routledge (Thai translation in press)
- Denes, A, P. Koanantakool, P. Davis, C. Kreps, K. Hennessy, M. Alivizatou & M. Stefano. 2013. Critical Reflections on Safeguarding Culture: The Intangible Cultural Heritage and Museums Fieldschool in Lamphun, Thailand, Heritage & Society 6 (1): 4-23.
- Alivizatou M. 2012. Debating Heritage Authenticity: Kastom and Development at the Vanuatu Cultural Centre, International Journal of Heritage Studies 18 (2): 124-43
- Alivizatou, M. 2011. Intangible Heritage and Erasure: Rethinking Cultural Preservation and Contemporary Museum Practice, International Journal of Cultural Property 18 (1):37-60
- Alivizatou M. 2008. The Politics of ‘Arts Premiers’: Some Thoughts on the Musée du Quai Branly, Museological Review 13: 44-56.
- Alivizatou, M. 2007. The UNESCO Programme for the Proclamation of Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity: A Critical Examination, Journal of Museum Ethnography 19: 34-42.
Chapters in Edited Volumes
- Alivizatou, M. (et al.) 2017. Intangible Cultural Heritage and New Technologies: Challenges and Opportunities for Cultural Heritage Preservation and Development, in Ioannides, M. (ed.) Mixed Reality and Gamification for Cultural Heritage, 129-158. Springer
- Alivizatou M. 2012. The Paradoxes of Intangible Heritage, in Stefano, M. et al. (eds.) Negotiating and Valuing the Intangible, 9-22. Boydell & Brewer