|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1855 Westwood, J.O.|
|History:||CISP: The stones appear not to have been moved since their first mention by Westwood in 1855 and Nash-Williams in 1950, but Macalister/1945, 332 states: `now built into the wall of a lean-to coal-cellar against the S.E. corner of the modern parish church'.|
|Geology:||Macalister/1945, 332, sandstone or ironstone, Macalister does not make clear which stone is which!|
|Dimensions:||1.24 x 0.2 x 0.01 (converted from Macalister/1945)|
Westwood/1876, 63: `forms one of the steps of a staircase on the south side of the church of Ystradgynlais'.
Macalister/1945, 332: `now built into the wall of a lean-to coal-cellar against the S.E. corner of the modern parish church'.
Nash-Williams/1950, 82: `Built into external S. wall of church at E. end (with No. 76 [YGYNL/2])'.
Westwood/1876, 63: `It measures 4 feet long and 8 inches wide'.
Macalister/1945, 332, calls it a fragment. Macalister notes Westwood's discussion of whether the two stones (this one and YGYNL/2) were part of the same monument and notes that had Westwood seen the stones the question would not have arisen as they are different types of stone.
Nash-Williams/1950, 82: `Upper portion of a quadrangular pillar-stone'.
|Condition:||frgmntry , good|
Westwood/1876, 63: `There appears to be a crack across the stone between the first and second letters'.
|Decorations:||no other decoration|
|Westwood, J.O. (1855):||ADIVNE|
Westwood/1876 63 concise discussion
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1945):||ADIVNE|
Macalister/1945 332 reading only
|Nash-Williams, V.E. (1950):||ADIVNE|
(The stone) of Adiuna(?) (PN)
Adiune (PN) (lies here).
Nash-Williams/1950 82 concise discussion
|Position:||n/a ; ind ; n/a ; undecorated|
Nash-Williams/1950, 82: `Latin inscription (? incomplete) in one line reading vertically downwards'.
Macalister/1945, 332: `inscribed'.
Nash-Williams/1950, 82: `lightly picked'.
|Date:||500 - 699 (Westwood/1876)|
Westwood/1876, 63: `I suppose this inscription to be not much more recent than the sixth or seventh century'.
400 - 533 (Nash-Williams/1950)
Nash-Williams/1950, 82: `5th-early 6th century AD'.
|Language:||name only (rcaps)|
|Palaeography:||Westwood/1876, 63: `The letters are large and coarsely cut, measuring about 3 1/2 inches in height...The first stroke of the A and V are nearly upright, the curved stroke of the D is slightly detached at each end from the upright first stroke, as are also most of the strokes of the other letters'.|
Nash-Williams/1950, 82: `Roman capitals, lightly picked in rather clumsy style'.
For the name Adiuni on a Breton stone see Davies/etal/2000, no. F3 and PLOIN/1.