|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1853 The MacGillicuddy|
|History:||Macalister/1945, 208: `Four stones inscribed with Ogham writing were exhibited by The MacGillicuddy of the Reeks at the Dublin Exhibition of 1853, and were presented by him to the Royal Irish Academy in the following year'.|
Gippert/Web, Ogham 217, cites Brash (OIM, 190) that this stone was found by J. Windele, `in the kitchen of a house belonging to the MacGillicuddy, on the townland of Whitefield, Parish of Knockane, and barony of Dunkerron', but `the tenant could give no information as to where it came from; it was then used as a hearth-stone'.
|Dimensions:||0.99 x 0.23 x 0.2 (converted from Macalister/1945)|
|Location:||National Museum, Dublin (Cat: W11)|
|Condition:||incomplete , some|
Macalister/1945, 211: `The top of the stone is broken off'.
|Crosses:||1: equal-armed; outline; expanded; expanded; plain; none; none; none; n/a|
2: equal-armed; linear; straight; n/a; plain; none; none; none; n/a
3: latin; outline; straight; plain; plain; none; none; none; plain
Macalister/1945, 211: `crosses have been made on the faces of this stone; incompetently formed, in contrast to the general neatness of the inscription, and evidently by different or later hands'.
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1945):||NOCATIMAQIMAQIREC[--] | MAQIMUCOIUDDAMI|
NOCATI MAQI MAQIREC[--] MAQI MUCOI UDDAMI
Macalister/1945 210--211 reading only
McManus/1991 65 reading only
OSullivan/etal/1996 236 reading only
|Orientation:||vertical up up|
|Position:||inc ; arris ; mixed ; undivided|
|Date:||400 - 550 (Ziegler/1994)|
Macalister/1945, 211, states that the end of the first line has gone.