|Corpus Refs:||Macalister/1949:App. 1|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001:Toureen Peacaun 31
|Discovery:||arch excav, 1944 Duignan, M.V.|
|History:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 274: `The stone was found in the summer of 1944 during excavation at the site ... It was a stray find from the rubble around stone no. 40 (the East Cross) [TOURP/8] ... During September to December 1944 the east wall of the church was rebuilt, incorporating many of the inscribed stones, including this one. The stone has remained there since. In a photograph possibly dating from the 1960s, preserved in Dúchas (negative no. 83), slightly more of the stone is shown than is visible today. The whole of this portion of the wall, to the right of the plain, free-standing cross, has been rebuilt since the photograph was taken. Stone no. 31 [this stone] is still in the same position but the other six fragments shown above and besie it have all now been moved or lost'.|
|Geology:||Macalister/1949, 213: `sandstone'.|
|Dimensions:||0.17 x 0.45 x 0.0 (Okasha/Forsyth/2001)|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 274: `The stone is built into the interior east wall of the ruined church, to the right of the free-standing cross'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 274: `The stone is part of a slab of unknown form'.
|Condition:||incomplete , some|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 274--275, makes clear that the stone is broken on the left side and the top. Some of this damage has been since the 1960s.
|Crosses:||1: equal-armed; linear; straight; expanded; plain; none; none; none; n/a|
According to Macalister/1949, 213, this is one of a number of slab fragments excavated as the book went to press with an inscribed cross. No further details are given.
Lionard/1964, 104, Fig. 3.3, illustrates this fragment.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 274--275: `Incised on the visible face is the lower half of a linear equal-armed cross with short bar extensions on the right and left terminals'.
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1949):||DOMNIC[--|
Lionard/1961 104, Fig. 3.3 minor reference
Macalister/1949 213 reading only
|Moloney, M. (1964):||DOM NIC|
Moloney/1964 105 Incomplete Information
|Okasha and Forsyth (1996):||[D]OM NIC|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001 275 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; below cross ; undivided|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 275: `beneath this [cross] is incised a text in one horizontal line'.
|Language:||name only (rbook)|
|Ling. Notes:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 275: `It looks like a genitive form of Domnach, `Sunday' (Latin Dominicus), a word also frequent in place-names meaning `church' and which occurs as the second element in the male personal name Ferdomnach'. They go on to argue, based on the positioning of the text relative to the cross, that the text is the name Domnic.|
|Palaeography:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 275: `The text is in half-uncial'.|
CISP: The lettering is half-uncial. The initial D, although not fully extant, appears to have had an ascender which bends to the left over the bow. The M and N are in the rounded half-uncial forms and the I has a short curved extension to the left from the top of the ascender. The upper terminal of the C has a wedge-shaped finial.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 275: `legible'.