Okasha/Forsyth/2001:Toureen Peacaun 39
|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1930 Meagher|
|History:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 287: `Meagher's photograph, taken in the early 1930s, shows this stone formng part of the `station' at the west end of the ruined church ... It was seen here by Macalister who described the position as `on a masonry table ... Against the West End of the Oratory, beside the entrance-door' ... This station was dismantled by the OPW and the stone is shown loose in a photograph taken by them in 1944 [shown on p. 289] ... The stone was probably built into the east wall of the church when this was rebuilt during September to December 1944'.|
|Geology:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 322: `sandstone'.|
|Dimensions:||0.775 x 0.21 x 0.13 (Okasha/Forsyth/2001)|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 286: `The stone is built into the exterior wall of the ruined church'.
Macalister/1949, 101: `A rectangular stone'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 287: `The stone is a complete pillar-shaped slab. The upper portion is carefully shaped'.
|Condition:||complete , some|
|Crosses:||1: latin; outline; straight; plain; plain; none; inner curv; none; plain|
Macalister/1949, 101: `a plain wheel cross, in cavo rilievo, with a marginal fillet along the top edge'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 287: `On the visible face there is a plain, ringed Latin cross, carved in relief. Its right and left arms extend to the edges of the stone. Running the whole width of the top of this face is a horizontal band joined to the cross. This is mirrored at the bottom of the cross by a horizontal base joined to the cross'.
|Duignan, W.V. (1944):||C[--] || NIS|
Waddell/Holland/1990 179 reading only
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1949):||ART || UIR|
Macalister/1949 101 reading only
|Okasha and Forsyth (1996):||[…] || N[..]|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001 288 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; within quadrants ; separated|
Macalister/1949, 101: `On the background surface, beneath the fillet and above the wheel, there is incised what I take to be the name ART-UIR, divided thus by the head of the cross'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 287: `The text is incised on the recessed surface in a single horizontal line interrupted by the upper cross-arm, that is, it is set in the top left and right quadrants of the cross'.
|Palaeography:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 287: `The text was probably in half-uncial script'.|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 287: `The text ... is now highly deteriorated'.