|Corpus Refs:||Macalister/1949:App. 15|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001:Toureen Peacaun 16
|Discovery:||arch excav, 1944 Duignan, M.V.|
|History:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 253: `The stone was found in the summer of 1944 during excavation at the site ... It was a stray find but Waddell and Holland do not record exactly where it was found ... During September to December 1944 the east wall of the church was rebuilt, incorporating many of the inscribed stones, including this one. The stone has remained there since'.|
|Geology:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 253: `purplish sandstone'.|
|Dimensions:||0.27 x 0.46 x 0.0 (Okasha/Forsyth/2001)|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 253: `The stone is built into the interior east wall of the ruined church'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 253: `The stone is a rectangular slab'.
|Condition:||complete , poor|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 253: `It is substantially complete although damaged on its lower edge and missing its bottom right corner'.
|Crosses:||1: latin; linear; straight; expanded; plain; none; none; none; plain|
2: latin; linear; straight; expanded; plain; none; none; none; plain
Macalister/1949, 213: `Two crosses'.
Lionard/1964, 104, Fig. 3.2, is an illustration of the crosses based upon Duignan's drawings.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 253: `two small incised linear Latin crosses with expanded terminals'.
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1949):||CVMMENE | LADCEN|
Lionard/1961 104, Fig. 3.2 minor reference
Macalister/1949 213 reading only
Moloney/1964 102 reading only
|Okasha and Forsyth (1996):||CVMMENE | LAD:CEN|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001 253 reading only
|Position:||inc ; broad ; below cross ; undivided|
Macalister/1949, 213: `letters below [the crosses] in two lines'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 253: `The visible face of the stone contains two complete horizontal lines of text. Above these are two small incised linear Latin crosses'.
|Language:||name only (mixed)|
|Palaeography:||Macalister/1949, 213: `Letters...in two lines; the first capitals, the second half-uncials'.|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 253--254: `The upper line is in insular decorative capitals and the lower line is in half-uncial script. An incised medial dot is apparently used to divide the two syllable of the lower line. ... The heirarchy of scripts traditionally employed in manuscripts is presumably employed to mark the higher status of the upper name'.
CISP: The first line is in Insular decorative capitals. The initial C is made up of a vertical stroke and two slightly curved strokes at top and bottom. The U is V-shaped, the Es are capitalis. The N is like that from TOURP/34, with the cross stroke going from bottom right to medial left. The two Ms are similar to those that appear at Llangadwladr and Llantwit Major in Wales (LGADW/1, line 1 and LTWIT/3 line 3) and at Tarbat in Scotland (TARBT/1). The ascenders are vertical, while the cross-stroke is made of two separate strokes both angled slightly upwards. That joining the first two ascenders is placed higher than that joining the latter two. In the parallels just cited these cross strokes angle downward from left to right. In this case they angle upward.
The second line is in Insular half-uncial. The A is in the 'OC' form and the D and C have wedge-shaped finials. The initial L is curved, the D has an ascender which bends to the left over an open bow and the E is in the open uncial form with an extended horizontal stroke. There is an interpunct between the D and C.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 253: `Both lines of the text are legible'.