Okasha/Forsyth/2001:Toureen Peacaun 51
|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1909 Crawford, H.S.|
|History:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 310: `In 1909 this stone was `lying loose on the station, or altar' ... In 1912 Crawford described it as `close to' the altar, but it is not clear if he revisited the site ... In the early 1930s it was photographed lying loose as part of a `crude pilgrim's "station"' which had been built to the west of the church some time before ... It was presumably lost before it could be built into the wall in 1944'.|
|Geology:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 322: `sandstone'.|
|Dimensions:||0.17 x 0.34 x 0.025 (converted from Macalister/1945)|
|Setting:||Lost (present 1930, missing 1944)|
|Location:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 310, show that the stone was extant when photographed in the early 1930s, but was missing by 1944.|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 310: `The stone is now lost'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 311: `The stone was part of a slab of unknown form'.
|Condition:||frgmntry , n/a|
|Crosses:||1: equal-armed; outline; straight; plain; round holl; none; none; none; plain|
Macalister/1949, 100: `Cross with hollows at the intersections'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 311: `Incised on the visible face was an outline equal-armed cross'.
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1949):||RAC | [A]NDCAEL|
Macalister/1949 100, Plate XLIV reading only
|Okasha and Forsyth (2001):||RAC | [--][.]N[D]CAEL~|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001 311 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; beside cross ; undivided|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 311: `One line was to the right of the right cross-arm and the other line below the cross'.
|Ling. Notes:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 312: `Reading the second line first, as originally suggested by Macalister, the text can be interpreted as --n[d] caelrac with the horizontal bar above the L indicating a run-on line. The --n[d] could be the end of a personal name, such as the Fland of slab 10 [TOURP/24]. The epithet cáelrach is formed from the adjective cáel, cóel, `slender', which occurs as a name both alone and in compounds'.|
|Palaeography:||Macalister/1949, 100: `The Admoer stone at Clonmacnois...teaches us that a superposed horizontal line such as we see here over the L is of the nature of a hyphen, linking a line of letters, written above, to those already formed. This being established the inscription becomes intelligible'.|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 311: `The text was in half-uncial script'.
CISP: The lettering is Insular half-uncial. The As are in the 'OC' form and the second C appears to have a wedge-shaped finial. The D has an ascender which bends to the left over an open angular bow. The N is H-shaped, the R is majuscule and the E is in the open uncial form.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 311: `The text ... appears in both photographs to be slightly deteriorated'.