|Discovery:||recognised, 1900 Tobin, M.|
|History:||Macalister/1949, 109: `found in a field...on the townland of Shanakill, near Two-mile Bridge, by a man named Tobin, and, when I saw it in 1938, preserved in his house'.|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 351--352: `The stone was found around 1900 at Shanakill, also known as Two-Mile-Bridge, and in 1910 was kept in the house of Mike Tobin who lived near Glenberg schoolhouse on the Youghal road ... Some years later a local man, Tomás Breatnach, contacted Macalister and in 1938 they together visited Tobin, by then an elderly man and living alone. ... Macalister recorded that it had been found by Tobin in a filed, `the site, it is said, of an old cemetery', at Shanakill ... The stone has not been recorded since 1938 and by 1951 was lost'.
|Geology:||Macalister/1949, 109: `grit'.|
|Dimensions:||0.26 x 0.34 x 0.075 (Okasha/Forsyth/2001)|
|Setting:||Lost (present , missing )|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 351: `The stone is now lost'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 352: `The stone was a small rectangular slab'.
|Condition:||inc , n/a|
Macalister/1949, 110, suggests part of the stone has broken away but `no certain indication of this remains'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 352: `From the photograph it is not clear whether any of its straight edges were original or whether the slab has been subsequently trimmed for re-use'.
|Crosses:||1: equal-armed; linear; straight; expanded; plain; none; none; none; n/a|
2: equal-armed; linear; expanded; plain; plain; none; none; none; n/a
Macalister/1949, 109--110: `It...bears, pocked on one of the broad faces, an equilateral cross with expanding ends, and a cross with crutched top and two transoms, the upright stem interlacing with these rather naively. Along one edge runs the inscription... followed by two curved lines which have no apparent meaning, and are most likely accidental flaws'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 352: `In the centre of the carved surface was a deeply incised equal-armed linear cross with rounded expanding ends. To the left was a second linear cross, more lightly incised. Power ... described it as a Latin cross on its side, although from his photograph it looks equal-armed'.
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1938):||AEDUIE|
Macalister/1949 110 reading only
|Okasha and Forsyth (2001):||AEDUIE|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001 353 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; below cross ; undivided|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 352: `The text was incised in a single horizontal line below the crosses and may have been incomplete'.
Macalister/1949, 110, states that the crosses are pocked but it is unclear if this also refers to the inscription.
|Palaeography:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 352: `The text appears to have been in half-uncial script'.|
Macalister/1949, 110: `the inscription... [is] followed by two curved lines which have no apparent meaning...Probably a second line of writing, which would have completed and explained the inscription has broken away; but no certain indication of this remains'.
CISP: The inscription is in Insular half-uncial with an 'OC' A, two open uncial Es with extended horizontal strokes, and an open-bowed D with the ascender extending some distance below the bow.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 352: `The lettering appears to have been ... legible'.