|Discovery:||recognised, 1881 Basset Rogers, R.|
|History:||Okasha/1993, 251: `The inscribed cross-shaft was found in 1881 by the vicar, the Rev. R. Basset Rogers, during restoration of the church: `It was built horizontally into the upper and eastern part of the wall of the aisle'. Rogers took a carved uninscribed cross-head attached to a portion of shaft, from where it was fixed to the churchyard wall and cemented it on to the inscribed shaft...Rogers then placed his composite cross `on the right-hand side of the gateway leading to the vicarage, which adjoins the churchyard'. On 13 June 1894, at Langdon's instigation, the cross was removed from there, placed in a base, and erected in its present position. The inscription was first observed by Langdon some time before 1895'.|
|Dimensions:||1.8 x 0.33 x 0.19 (Okasha/1993)|
Okasha/1993, 251: `The stone is now in Sancreed churchyard near the south door of the church'.
|Form:||Cramp sh. B, head 8e, r5|
|Condition:||incomplete , some|
The shaft was recovered from the wall of the church in 1881, but the cross-head was already known mounted on a nearby wall. There is a missing fragment, but it does seem likely from Langdon's plate that the two pieces are from the same monument (Langdon/1896,Okasha/1993, 251).
|Decorations:||figural; geometric ribbon interlace; geometric key pattern|
Macalister/1949, 186: `In the S. face there is a Crucifix, with a zoomorphic plait on the W. edge. Plaits and key-work fill the rest of the space, except for a panel at the bottom of the S. face'.
|Langdon, A. (1896):||RU | NHO~|
Langdon/1896 364--365 reading only
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1949):||RU | NHO~|
Macalister/1949 186 reading only
|Okasha, E. (1986):||R[--] | [HO.]|
Okasha/1993 253 reading only
|Position:||S ; broad ; n/a ; panel|
Okasha/1993, 251: `The text is incised in two lines low down on the face of the shaft'.
|Date:||900 - 1099 (Okasha/1993)|
950 - 999 (Thomas/1994)
|Language:||Incomplete Information (rbook)|
|Palaeography:||Okasha/1993, 251: `it [the text] uses a predominantly insular script. The letters measure 4 to 6 cm. in height'.|
Okasha/1993, 251--253: `The text is probably complete but highly deteriorated'.