|Discovery:||recognised, 1896 Barry, E.|
|History:||Gippert/Web, Ogham 79: `According to Macalister (Epig. and CIIC), this stone was, together with no. 80, found in a souterrain. According to Barry, JRSAI 1897 (cf. below) it was found by him and two other people on 29.11.1896, after it had served as the door jamb of a barn for 80 years; in Macalister's time it was still used for this purpose. Barry gives no indication as to the souterrain, neither here nor with respect to no. 80. When it was inspected by M.J. O'Kelly in 1945, the stone was still `carefully built into the doorway of the cart shed'; according to him (JCHAS 50, 1945, 19 f.) the souterrain of the ring fort had been destroyed `about 130 years ago', and the stone bearing the inscription was moved to the barn to serve as the entrance jamb. When the site was visited in 1981, the stone stood aside of a barn, half buried with the part containing the inscription in the ground, so that it had to be dug up. The farmer said that he was about to destroy it'.|
|Geology:||Macalister/1945, 82: `slab of slate'.|
|Dimensions:||1.73 x 0.61 x 0.14 (converted from Macalister/1945)|
Gippert/Web, Ogham 79, notes that it is still at the farm where the stone was first recorded in 1897.
Macalister/1945, 82: `A flat slab of slate'.
|Condition:||complete , some|
|Decorations:||no other decoration|
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1945):||ELUNAMU[C--|
Macalister/1945 82 reading only
Ziegler/1994 258 listing
|Gippert, J. (1981):||--]LENAMU[--|
Gippert/Web 79 reading only [Gippert 79]
|McManus, D. (1991):||TELUNAMUC[--|
McManus/1991 67, 172 reading only
|Position:||inc ; arris ; n/a ; undecorated|
|Date:||500 - 550 (Ziegler/1994)|
|Palaeography:||Gippert/Web, Ogham 79: `The T as read by Kelly and (before him) by Macalister in Epig. cannot be verified with certainty; the same holds true for the first vowel. The second vowel is rather an E than an U. At least one H-stroke can be ascertained at the end'.|
When Macalister viewed the stone it was covered in whitewash (Macalister/1945, 82). When Gippert went to see it in 1981 in was partly buried and had to be re-excavated (Gippert/Web, 79).