|Discovery:||in/on structure, 1848 Hitchcock, R.|
|History:||Cuppage et al/1986, 256: `Hitchcock discovered this Ogham stone acting as a lintel in a cottage on this townland. According to Windele it had previously served a similar function in a house in the neighbouring Magherabeg townland, but Hitchcock was informed that it had been brought from one of the Magheree Islands. Magherabeg occupies part of the Magharess Peninsula which extends N from Castlegregory and perhaps the confusion arises from the application of the same name to both peninsula and islands...However the possibility that the stone did come from one of the islands, perhaps from the church site on Ilauntannig cannot be discounted'.|
Macalister/1945, 185, states that the stone was sent by Hitchcock to the Royal Irish Academy in 1848.
|Geology:||Cuppage/etal/1986, 256: `sandstone'.|
|Dimensions:||1.14 x 0.56 x 0.19 (converted from Macalister/1945)|
|Location:||National Museum Ireland|
Cuppage et al/1986, 256: `now preserved in the NMI'.
|Condition:||incomplete , some|
Macalister/1945, 185: `The top is fractured...the back surface shows traces of most violent battering'.
|Crosses:||1: equal-armed; linear; straight; plain; plain; none; none; none; n/a|
Macalister/1945, 185: `just under the fractured top there is a small and insignificant equal-armed cross'.
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1945):||QENILOCGNIMAQID[--|
QENILOCGNI MAQI D[--
Cuppage/etal/1986 256 reading only
Macalister/1945 185 reading only
|McManus, D. (1991):||QENILOCGNIMAQID[--|
QENILOCAGNI MAQI D[--
McManus/1991 65 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; arris ; beside cross ; undivided|
|Date:||400 - 550 (Ziegler/1994)|
|Ling. Notes:||See McManus/1991, 107, 118.|