|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1916 Macalister, R.A.S.|
|History:||Macalister/1949, 31: `Said to have come from an old graveyard on this [Marlay] townland: removed thence to Rokeby Hall, and afterwards deposited in the porch of St. Peter's Church, Drogheda, where it now lies'.|
|Geology:||Macalister/1949, 31: `grit'.|
|Dimensions:||0.8 x 0.81 x 0.2 (converted from Macalister/1949)|
Macalister/1949, 31, states that it now lies `in the porch of St. Peter's Church, Drogheda'.
Macalister/1949, 31: `More or less circular slab'.
|Condition:||incomplete , some|
The left side of the stone is quite badly damaged.
|Crosses:||1: latin; linear; straight; bifid; plain; none; none; none; n/a|
2: latin; linear; straight; bifid; plain; cruciform; inner curv; none; n/a
Macalister/1949, 31: `an enclosing circle, so to call it: two crosses, one with bifid terminals, the other with semi-circular expansions at the ends...and a circular expansion in the centre'.
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1949):||TNUDACH || COCMANF|
TNUDACH COCMAN F[ILIUS]
TNUDACH COCMAN F[ECIT]
Macalister/1949 31 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; mixed ; separated|
The inscription is in two lines, one above and one below the crosses, and inside a one line circular margin.
Macalister/1949, 31: `roughly punched'.
|Ling. Notes:||The letter F may stand for `filius' or `fecit' in which case the inscription could be seen to be in Latin.|
|Palaeography:||Macalister/1949, 31: `Most of the letters have large bifid serifs'.|
CISP: The inscription is in a very elaborate form of half-uncial. All the letters have decorative bifid serifs, which give the letters an outlandish appearance. The A's are in the `OC' form and the hm are ligatured.