|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1794 inc|
|History:||Collingwood/Wright/1965, 287: `Found before 1794 about 1/2 mile south-east of the Roman fort at Maryport at a ford where the Roman road to Papcastle crosses the River Ellen. Now in Netherhall Museum'.|
Tomlin/1995, 774: `now in the Senhouse Roman Museum, Maryport'.
|Geology:||Collingwood/Wright/1965, 271: `red sandstone'.|
|Dimensions:||0.74 x 0.69 x 0.0 (converted from Collingwood/Wright/1965)|
|Location:||Senhouse Roman Museum Maryport|
Now in the Senhouse Roman Museum, Maryport.
|Condition:||incomplete , some|
The bottom left hand corner of the stone is broken, and most of the second line of text has been worn off.
|Decorations:||no other decoration|
|Collingwood/Wright (1965):||RIANORIXVIXIT | ANNOS [--]|
RIANORIX VIXIT | ANNOS [--]
Rianorix (PN) lived...years.
Collingwood/Wright/1965 287 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; n/a ; undecorated|
The inscription runs most of the width of the stone, but leaves large spaces both above and below it clear.
|Date:||400 - 599 (Dark/Dark/1996)|
Dark/Dark/1996, 60--63, argues that the inscription is Christian in nature, and therefore dates to either the 5th or 6th centuries.
|Palaeography:||The text is in Roman capitals. The first line of text has a slightly concave appearance, while the letters RIANOR all lean to the right. The X in vixit has a serif on the bottom left arm, while the top left arm and the bottom right arm each have small, almost horizonatal, strokes at the end of the angled strokes. The O of RIANORIX is smaller than the other letters.|
The first line is clear, while only the first three letters of the second line are certain, the next two letters are more than likely `OS', but after that the text is illegible.