|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1698 Lhuyd, E.|
|History:||RCAHMW/1925, 198: `In British Museum Ms. Stowe 1023, is the sketch of an inscription borne by a stone in this parish which was taken by Edward Lhuyd or one of his assistants in the year 1698. A side-note to the sketch states that the stone was then `on the north side of Llanychaerh church', where it would appear from the drawing that it then stood upright in the churchyard, or was built into the church wall. Another entry of the same inscription, however, represents the lettering as cut upon a stone which appears to be occupying a horizontal position'.|
Macalister/1945, 421: `Known only from a drawing in B.M. Stowe, 1023, made by Edward Lhuyd, or one of his assistants, in 1698...The stone then stood (or lay) on the north side of the church, but it has disappeared, probably in one of the `restorations' which the church has undergone in the interval'.
|Dimensions:||0.0 x 0.0 x 0.0 (Unknown)|
|Setting:||Lost (present 1698, missing )|
|Location:||Known only from a drawing of this date, BM Stowe 1023.|
Nash-Williams/1950, 191: `Rough pillar-stone'.
|Condition:||n/a , n/a|
|Decorations:||no other decoration|
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1945):||MACVDECETI | FILIVS EONOCAN|
MACVDECETI FILIVS EONOCAN
Macalister/1945 421 reading only
|Nash-Williams, V.E. (1950):||MACVDEC[C]ETI | FILIVS EO[.]OCAN|
MACVDECCETI FILIVS EOROCAN
(The stone) of Macudeccetus (PN), son of Eorocan (?) (PN).
Nash-Williams/1950 191 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; n/a ; undecorated|
Nash-Williams/1950, 191: `Latin inscription in two lines reading horizontally'.
|Date:||500 - 599 (Nash-Williams/1950)|
533 - 566 (Jackson/1953)
466 - 533 (Thomas/1994)
Thomas/1994, 122 includes this in a group of stones he dates as probably not later than `VI.1'.
|Palaeography:||RCAHMW/1925, 198: `From a comparison with other inscriptions, both in Ireland and Wales, it is evident that in the present instance the letters have not been properly read, and the following reading may be suggested: MACUDEC[C]ETI FILIUS EOROCAN. It is unfortunately impossible to conjecture whether the stone also bore an Ogam inscription, or was marked with a cross; the important clan name Deceti would lead us to expect the former'.|
Nash-Williams/1950, 191: `Apparently Roman capitals, with half-uncial E's and M's'.
Jackson/1953, 181, sees the name as Goidelic.