|Discovery:||in/on structure, 1820 builders|
|History:||Macalister/1949, 107: `found about 1820 in excavating for the foundations of Lismore Cathedral tower, and for a time lay loose on the nave floor'.|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 339: `The stone may have been found around 1827 ... It was either found or re-found by Cotton after his arrival to Lismore in 1834, and before it was drawn by Armstrong in 1841 when it was in the cemetery ... In July 1849 when Windele visted Lismore, he found that the stone had disappeared. Subsequently Cotton wrote to him and told him that it was back in the cathedral. Windele went to Lismore again in July 1851 when he examined the stone ... Along with Lismore 1, 2, 4 and 5 this stone has been fastened to the cathedral wall since some time before 1912'.
|Geology:||Macalister/1949, 108: 'Smooth compact limestone resembling slate'.|
|Dimensions:||0.41 x 0.33 x 0.04 (Okasha/Forsyth/2001)|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 339: `The stone is fastened to the west interior wall of the cathedral nave'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 339: `The stone is an irregular rectangular slab'.
|Condition:||complete , good|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 339: `apparently complete'.
|Crosses:||1: latin; linear; straight; expanded; plain; none; none; other; n/a|
Macalister/1949, 108: `A cross with expanding ends and a dice-box-shaped base'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 339: `At the top of the face is incised a linear Latin cross with expanded terminals, set on a pedastal'.
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1949):||BEND || ACHT | FOR || AN~ | MARTAN|
BENDACHT FOR ANMAIN MARTAN
Macalister/1949 108, Plate XLIV reading only
|Okasha and Forsyth (1998):||BEND || ACHT | FOR || AN~ | MARTAN|
BENDACHT FOR ANMAIN MARTAN
A blessing on the soul of Martan (PN).
Okasha/Forsyth/2001 340 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; mixed ; separated|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 339: `It is set in three horizontal lines, the first two interrupted by the stem of the cross and the third line beneath it. An attempt has been made to set the letters of the first two lines symetrically on either side of the cross stem'.
|Date:||800 - 899 (Okasha/Forsyth/2001)|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 351: `may date from the ninth century'.
|Palaeography:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 339: `The text .. Uses half-uncial script of maximum letter H. 8 cm. The lettering is elegant, with careful wedge-shaped serifs, and some attempt has been made in the layout of the text to accommodate the word division'.|
CISP: The lettering is Insular half-uncial. Many of the letters have wedge-shaped finials. The As are angular in form. The bows are almost lozenge-shaped with a long vertical on the right-hand side that extends to the left to form a small 'cap' over the bow. The bottom of this stroke extends below the bow and also has a small extension to the right. The initial B has a circular open bow and a curved ascender, similar in the shape to that on LISMR/2. The E is in the open uncial form with an extended horizontal stroke. The D has a vertical ascender and an open bow. The Ts are curved with a flat top-stroke; the curve beign formed by two straight strokes. The F has a curved top-stroke and an extended medial stroke. The stone displays two different forms of R. That on line 2 has an angular V-shaped 'foot', while that on the third line has a 'foot' that curves into a horizontal line. Abbreviation mark above N of AN.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 339: `The text is legible'.