|Discovery:||in/on structure, 1858 Keranflec'h, C. de|
|History:||Davies et al/2000, 218--219: `This stone was discovered by Keranflec'h, built into the enclosing wall of a threshing area in the hamlet of Kervily, Languidic [Keranflec'h/1858, 335]. His illustration of the stone in this position, reproduced by La Borderie, shows it apparently standing on top of the ground and thus complete.|
The stone was seen by Rosenzweig in the 1860s but when Louis Marsille went to Kervily in search of it in 1936 he could not find the wall nor the stone and there was no local memory of it. A little over a decade later H. F. Buffet, Archivist of Ille-et-Vilaine, noticed an inscribed stone on private ground at Locmalo, Port-Louis, 25km to the south west of Kervily. He alerted Marsille, who identified it as the missing stone. It was subsequently discovered that Dominique Marquet, mayor of the commune of Port-Louis from 1880 to 1890, had moved the stone from Kervily to his property at Kerso, Port-Louis. Château de Kerso is now a ruin but the stone is still standing in its grounds.
The stone at Kerso, and the original site, were visited by members of the CISP team in May 1997 and the original site in June 1999'.
|Geology:||Davies et al/2000, 213: `pink tinged granite'.|
|Dimensions:||2.0 x 0.48 x 0.56 (Davies/etal/2000)|
|Location:||Château de Kerso, Locmalo; |
The stone now stands in the grounds of Château de Kerso, Port Louis.
Davies et al/2000, 213--214: `The stone is a highly worked pillar of pink-tinged granite. It currently stands 162cm above ground level but Rosenzweig gives its total length as c.2m. This is consistent with the drawing by Keranflec'h, which reveals about 25% more of the stone's length than is now visible above ground. The pillar is sub-rectangular in section. The inscribed east (strictly ESE) face is 48cm broad, the west face 44cm, the north and south faces 53cm and 56cm respectively. The top is gently rounded. The four faces are flat and smooth and meet each other at crisp angles; the whole is very regular in both shape and finish'.
|Condition:||complete , good|
|Crosses:||1: equal-armed; outline; expanded; plain; lozenge; none; none; none; plain|
Davies et al/2000, 214--215: `The carving occupies the visible length of the east face and consists of an equal-armed cross on a long shaft and, on the left-hand side of the shaft, an inscription in two vertical lines, reading downwards. The carving is sharp and well preserved: there is some lichen on the stone but not much active erosion, despite its sea-side location (the inscribed face looks away from the sea).
The cross is crisply carved in false relief, the cross head being about 43.5cm high and 43cm across. The straight-sided wedge-shaped arms taper on the right and at the bottom from about 19cm at the outside to 3-3.5cm, and on the left and at the top from 15-15.5cm to 3-3.5cm, where they meet the central disc (diameter c.9.5cm), which has a small circular depression. The cross stands on a straight-sided shaft, about 14cm wide and 78.5cm long, which meets the lower arms of the cross in two small circular indentations'.
|Keranflec'h, C. de (1858):||CRAX HAR EN BILI IB FIL | HER AN HAL|
CRAX HAR EN BILI IB FIL(IUS) HER AN HAL
Keranflec'h/1858 336 reading only
|Rosenzweig, L. (1864):||CRARHARENBIUIBRIL | HERANHAL|
Rosenzweig/1864 158 reading only
|Davies, W. et al. (1999):||CROXHARENBILIIB FIL | HERANHAL|
CROX HARENBILI IB FILII HERANHAL
The cross of Harenbili(PN) … son of Heranhal(PN).
Davies/etal/2000 216 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; beside cross ; undivided|
Davies et al/2000, 215--216: `The first line, of eighteen characters, begins just under the left arm of the cross and runs the length of the shaft. The second line, of only eight characters, is almost centred on the first line, beginning beneath the letter X and ending beneath IB; its letters are slightly more generously spaced'.
Davies et al/2000, 215: `The incised line is shallow but sharp'.
|Date:||600 - 799 (Davies/etal/2000)|
Davies et al/2000, 219: `7th- or 8th-century'.
|Ling. Notes:||Davies et al/2000, 217--18: `CROX. This shows the same Brittonic development of Latin CRUX as found at Langombrac'h [LDAUL/1], discussed in that entry above. ...|
IB has few suitable parallels. Ibiau was an OB woman's name in the early 9th century. Names in -iau are generally pet names, formed by adding -iau to the first element of a compound name. For example, OW T'eliau is a secondary pet form for the saint otherwise known as El-iud. Therefore, the occurrence of the form Ibiau would point to the existence of Ib- as a personal name element, perhaps specifically used for females. However, in the present case, the syntax of the inscription does not support the presence of a second personal name. Alternatively, ib might be an abbreviation for Latin ibi, 'there', substituted for or confused with the more usual hic `here'.
Another suggestion is that B could have been carved in error for D, reading i The script used on this stone is very similar to that found at Crac'h [CRACH/1]: the H, N, R, A, and the occasional wedge-shaped finial are common to both inscriptions. It seems likely, therefore, on palaeographic grounds alone, that this inscription dates to much the same period, that is the 7th or 8th century'.
The script used on this stone is very similar to that found at Crac'h [CRACH/1]: the H, N, R, A, and the occasional wedge-shaped finial are common to both inscriptions. It seems likely, therefore, on palaeographic grounds alone, that this inscription dates to much the same period, that is the 7th or 8th century'.
HARENBILI. Bili is abundantly attested as a single-element OB name in the 9th and 11th centuries. The common OW name Beli is probably the same. In OB sources, -bili often occurs as the second element of compound names, in which case it is often spelled -uili, reflecting lenition: e.g. Con-uili, Rat-uili'.