|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1695 inc|
|History:||Nash-Williams/1936, 64: `Found in a field adjoining Llanol farm'.|
Macalister/1945, 306: `R. Humphreys (in Gough's Camden) reports it as being broken in two...When Rhys visited the stone about 1878 it was in use as a gatepost, and holes for the bolts etc. were drilled in its face'.
Owen/1896, 140, reports that in the eighteenth century Lewis Morris described the stone as `lately broken in two' with the original 8 feet long, and the inscription on the upper part.
Skinner/1908, 69, notes that in 1802 the stone was 'fixed in the ground in the field' and that the upper part had no text.
Rhys/1877, 361: 'it is now used as a gate-post near the back door of the dwelling house at Llanol'.
|Dimensions:||1.3 x 0.53 x 0.28 (converted from Macalister/1945)|
Macalister/1945, 306: `Now lying prostrate just inside and to the left of the gate leading through a field to the farm of Llanol'.
|Condition:||incomplete , some|
Broken in two. The lower part is recorded in antiquarian drawings, e.g. Huebner/1876, 54, but is now lost.
|Decorations:||no other decoration|
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1945):||E/T/TORIGIH[ICIACE^IT]|
ETTORIGI HIC IACET
ETTORIGI HIC IACIT
Macalister/1945 306 concise discussion
|Nash-Williams, V.E. (1950):||E/T/TORIGIH[ICIACIT]|
ETTORIGI(S) HIC IACIT
(The stone) of Ettorix (PN). He lies here.
Macalister/1945 53 reading only
Nash-Williams/1950 53 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; n/a ; undecorated|
The only figure of the whole stone is that in Skinner/1908, 70, and it shows the inscription running down the stone in the middle of a broad face.
Macalister/1945, 306: `inscription pocked'.
|Date:||467 - 533 (Nash-Williams/1950)|
500 - 599 (Radford/1937b)
|Palaeography:||Nash-Williams/1950, 53: `Roman capitals'.|
RCAHMW/1937, civ: `sickle-shaped G...R is a hybrid form'.
The illustrations in Huebner/1876, 54, and Westwood/1879, Plate 85, Fig. 10, have the now lost 'A' of iacit with a horizontal stroke at the top.
The G is uncial, the R has a horizontal cross-bar, the two Ts have a joined cross-bar which is ligatured to the middle stroke of the E.
Macalister/1945, 306: `so far as it remains, in good condition'.