|Discovery:||inc, 1833 inc|
|History:||Westwood/1879, 96: `a cross which twenty years ago [was] built into different parts of the churchyard wall, one portion being close to the steps leading into the churchyard on the south side, and another on the north side of the north wall of the churchyard, about six yards to the west of the stile...having been removed [the stones] rest at the present time against the south side of the tower...the late Rev H. Longueville Jones favoured me in 1855 with a rubbing'.|
Macalister/1949, 141--142: `Down to 1833 this stone was W. of the N. end of a bank in a field called Cae 'r Castell. It was afterwards brought to the churchyard to serve as a step for a stile; it is now clamped against the N. wall of the porch'.
Anon/1925, 463, speaks of a Mr Williams, `whose father had helped to remove the great stone to the churchyard from a spot just west of the north end of the bank of Cae'r Castell, two miles west by south of the parish church'.
Evans/1917, 164, states that the stone `has now been fixed against the north wall of the inside of the porch'.
|Dimensions:||1.98 x 0.89 x 0.19 (converted from Macalister/1949)|
Macalister/1949, 142: 'it is now clamped against the N. wall of the porch'.
National Museum of Wales cast no. 14.306/4.
Nash-Williams/1950, 111: `Disk-headed slab-cross...with straight shaft and short-stepped butt below'.
|Condition:||complete , poor|
Macalister/1949, 142: `The stone has been broken in two, and the surface is much scaled'.
Westwood/1879, 96: `the stones have been greatly injured and defaced...the stone is so much injured'.
|Crosses:||1: latin; outline; straight; plain; square hol; none; outer curv; none; decorated|
|Decorations:||geometric ribbon interlace|
Nash-Williams/1950, 111: `the face is filled with a carved quadrate Latin wheel-cross, with incised borders and five incised ring and dot devices symmetrically disposed on the four arcs of the wheel and centrally at the base of the stem. The stem extends down the centre of the shaft in the form of a panel filled with rudely incised rusticated ornament imitating knotwork'.
Macalister/1922, 22: `the artist was inspired by some earlier monument to attempt to design an interlacing panel on the stem of his cross; but the tradition of such designs was already dead when he worked, and his attempt to revive it has resulted in a very singular piece of ornament'.
|RCAHMW (1917):||+MERCI ET [GRA]CE MO[RE]DIC | ELMON[F]ECIT H:C CRUCEM|
+ MERCI ET GRACE MOREDIC | ELMON FECIT HANC CRUCEM
Evans/1917 164 reading only
Macalister/1922 22 reading only
RCAHMW/1917 no. 188 reading only
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1949):||MERCI ET G[RA]CE MOREDIC | ELMON [F]ECIT H:C CR[U]CEM|
MERCI ET GRACE MOREDIC | ELMON FECIT HANC CRUCEM
Macalister/1949 142 reading only
|Nash-Williams, V.E. (1950):||+MERCI ET GRACE MO[RE]DIC | ELMON [F]ECIT H:C CRUCEM|
+ MERCI ET GRACE MOREDIC | ELMON FECIT HANC CRUCEM.
Mercy and grace (?on the soul of) Moredic (PN). Elmon (PN) made this cross.
Nash-Williams/1950 111 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; beside cross ; separated|
Nash-Williams/1950, 111: 'clumsily set out in two lines...carelessly picked'.
|Date:||1000 - 1133 (Nash-Williams/1950)|
1100 - 1133 (Evans/1917)
1000 - 1099 (Anon/1925)
|Language:||Incomplete Information (rbook)|
|Ling. Notes:||Westwood/1879, 96, argues that the inscription is partly Norman-French, a theory accepted in the RCAHMW/1917, no. 188 and Evans/1917, 164.|
In Anon/1925, 463--464, Harold Hughes and Mr Caroe argued that the inscription was not Norman-French, at all, but Latin.
Macalister/1949, 142, sees the inscription as all Latin.
Nash-Williams/1950, 111, states that it is `in Latin and Norman (?)-French'.
Macalister/1949, 142, argues that the stone commemorates `Merci' and `Grace' the two daughters of Moredic.
Nash-Williams/1950, 111, argues that the stone should be translated as `Mercy and grace (?on the soul of ) Moredic'.
|Palaeography:||Nash-Williams/1950, 111: `round half-uncials...with one contraction mark'.|
Macalister/1949, 142: `half-uncials'.
The first two Rs are in capitals, the first with a horizontal bar, the second with an oblique bar. The Es have a longer middle stroke than the others. The L has an upwards curling stroke to the right of the bottom of the ascender.
Macalister/1949, Plate LI, 996, shows the end of the two lines extending around the bottom of the cross shaft.
Westwood/1879, 96: `an inscription of which I could only unsatifactorily make out the letters'.
Nash-Williams/1950, 111: `clumsily set out'.
Macalister/1949, 142, after giving a reading, states that `some of the blank spaces are rather wide for the letters with which it is here proposed to fill them, so that the restoration is not absolutely certain, this is especially true of the word Grace'.