RCAHMS/1982:No. 6 (68)
|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1851 Graham, H.|
|History:||Formerly on N side of St Oran's Chapel.|
In S aisle of `cathedral' (i.e. Abbey) when viewed by Macalister/1912.
Now in the Abbey Museum.
|Geology:||RCAHMS/1982, 189: `slab of schist with alternating bands of mica-granulite and mica amphibolite'.|
|Dimensions:||1.34 x 0.75 x 0.125 (RCAHMS/1982)|
|Location:||Iona Abbey Museum (Cat: 48)|
Abbey Museum, 48.
RCAHMS/1982, 189: `rectangular slab of schist with alternating bands of mica-granulite and mica-amphibolite'.
Allen/Anderson/1903, 386: `recumbent cross-slab of sandstone, of nearly rectangular shape (but with rough edges)...sculptured in relief on one face'.
|Condition:||complete , poor|
RCAHMS/1982, 189: `the surface of the stone is much worn'.
Macalister/1949, 193: `The surface of the stone is much scaled, and both cross and inscription have suffered severe injury'.
|Crosses:||1: latin; interlace; straight; half-round; n/a; angular; angular; none; decorated|
RCAHMS/1982, 189: `Within a plain border there is a double-ribbon cross interlaced with a square ring at the centre and having knotted terminals, three of which are double-headed. On the shaft and arms, the spaces between the ribbons are slightly sunk'.
Allen/Anderson/1903, 386: `In the centre of the slab within a plain rectangular border an ornamental cross formed of double-beaded interlaced bands. Each of the arms consists of two bands, which are crossed over in the centre and combined with a square ring (No.776); and the four arms terminate in knot No.214, interlaced with a looped ring No.481'.
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1949):||[O~R~] AR [GI]LLU CHO[LUIM]|
OROIT AR GILLU CHOLUIM
Macalister/1949 193 reading only
|RCAHMS (1982):||[-]R[-] | [-] | [O][H^N]C[-]|
[-]R[-] | [-] | [O][H^N]C[-]
RCAHMS/1982 190 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; within quadrants ; quadrant|
Macalister/1949, 193: `chisel-cut'.
|Palaeography:||The inscription is in half-uncial, little more can be said as a result of the worn nature of the stone.|
RCAHMS/1982, 189--190: `The surface of the stone is much worn in parts, but in one of the quarters there are traces of three groups of letters on separate lines. There is no evidence to support the reading given by R. A. S. Macalister and at the present time only the letter R is visible in the first group; the letters of the second group are all uncertain; and in the third group the first letter is probably O, the second could be H or N while the third is C'.