|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1869 Graves, Rev. J.|
|History:||Petrie/1872, 57: `Found among the ruins of the church on the island of Inisbofin, in Lough Ree. Drawn by M.S. from a rubbing of the stone taken by the Rev. James Graves in 1869'.|
Macalister/1949, 79, states that the stone was also published by Crawford in 1917, and that the stone was still there when he visited the island.
|Dimensions:||1.07 x 0.64 x 0.0 (converted from Macalister/1949)|
Macalister/1949, 79: `Slab'.
|Condition:||frgmntry , poor|
Macalister/1949, 79: `broken into three fragments'.
|Crosses:||1: latin; outline; straight; plain; curved; none; inner curv; other; plain|
Macalister/1949, 79: `a wheel cross, with looped ends to the lower terminal'.
|Stokes, M. (1872):||[..]OITDO | [..]OR || MACAN|
[OR]OIT DO [CH]ORMACAN
Pray for Cormacan (PN).
Petrie/1872 57, Fig. 122 reading only
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1949):||[O]RÓIT DO | [CH]ORMACAN|
[O]RÓIT DO [CH]ORMACAN
Macalister/1949 78 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; head ; mixed ; separated|
Macalister/1949, 79: `Inscription in two lines at the top, the first free of the cross, the second in the two upper cantons'.
|Palaeography:||CISP: The lettering is Insular half-uncial. The A's are in the 'OC' form. The D has an ascender which bends to the left over an open bow and which terminates in a wedge-shaped finial. The Rs are majuscule. The T is curved and the O of the second line is made up of two arcs and is oval shaped, a form attested in Brittany in the eleventh century (STGRH/1 and possibly STGRH/2). The M and N are in the minuscule forms and have curved top strokes. The first O of line 1 has an accent mark over it.|