|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1880 Deane, T.N.|
|History:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 73: `The stone was first recorded by Deane in 1880 when it was lying in the graveyard ... The stone remains in this position'.|
|Dimensions:||1.45 x 0.42 x 0.1 (Okasha/Forsyth/2001)|
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 73: `This stone is in the Saints' Graveyard, apparently in situ. It lies at the northern end of the composite kerbed structure of three (formerly five) recumbent slabs'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 74: `The stone is a large recumbent cross-slab'.
|Condition:||complete , some|
Macalister/1916, Plate XXII, shows the stone is cracked at the top.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 73: `broken in two pieces and with several pieces missing. Deane showed damage only at the lower right side ... but by the time Macalister illustrated the stone, a piece at the top right corner, containing some of the text, had apparently also become separated ... The drawing by de Paor shows this piece as missing ... But part of the missing piece is now there, placed in the original position'.
|Crosses:||1: latin; outline; straight; plain; round holl; none; none; angular; plain|
Macalister/1949, 90: `Latin cross with hollowed angles and expanding square base, open below'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 74: `The face is dressed and is incised with an outline Latin cross with semi-circular armpits and a square base, open at the bottom'.
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1915):||O~R~DOGILLU | C~R~IEPISC~O~|
OROIT DO GILLUCRIST EPISCOPUS
A prayer for Gilla-Crist (PN) the Bishop.
Macalister/1916 157, Plate XXII reading only
Macalister/1949 90, Plate XXXIX reading only
|Okasha and Forsyth (1996):||--]DOGILLU | [--]EPISC~O~|
[OROIT] DO GILLU[-CRISTI] EPISCOPO
A prayer for Gilla-Críst (PN) bishop.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001 74 reading only
|Position:||W ; top ; above cross ; undivided|
Macalister/1916, 157: `The inscription is at the head of the slab, inverted with respect to the cross'.
|Date:||1100 - 1199 (Macalister/1916)|
|Language:||celtic and latin (rbook)|
|Ling. Notes:||CISP: the use of EPISCO~ for episcopus indicates the use of Latin, combined with the Goidelic of OROIT DO.|
|Palaeography:||Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 74: `The text uses half-uncial script'.|
CISP: The lettering is Insular half-uncial. The two I's, two Ls and the U all have horizontal strokes atop their ascenders. The S is majuscule, the E in the uncial form, but with an extended central horizontal stroke and the D has an ascender which bends to the left over an open bow. The ascender of the P is curved.