|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1806 Gough, R.|
|History:||First published in Camden/Gough/1806, ii, 578, and then by Westwood/1858, 405--406.|
Macalister/1945, 376, states that the stone stands `on the N. side of the parish church'.
|Dimensions:||1.05 x 0.25 x 0.25 (converted from Macalister/1945)|
Macalister/1945, 376: `Standing on the N. side of the parish church...It is the westernmost of a row of four stones, all about the same size and set with interspaces of about eight feet. None of the others bears any inscription, and they now seem quite purposeless'. [CISP: Macalister goes on to suggest that they may all have borne ogham inscriptions subsequently chipped away; this seems unlikely.]
Nash-Williams/1950, 121, suggests three uninscribed stones may be menhirs.
Westwood/1858, 405--406, and Westwood/1879 figures the stone as a dressed pillar with a rounded top and straight edges.
Macalister/1928, 298, Macalister/1945, 375, and Nash-Williams/1950, fig. 133, show the stone in a very different shape. Nash-Williams/1950, 121, `rough pillar-stone'.
|Condition:||incomplete , some|
Nash-Williams/1950, 121: `r. edge partly fractured away'
Macalister/1945, 376: `The very irregular outline of the inscribed stone is adapted to the shape of the extant inscription in a way which suggests that the original angle has been trimmed down, destroying the objectionable Ogham but sparing the harmless Roman.' [CISP this seems unlikely]
|Decorations:||no other decoration|
|Gough, R. (1806):||VINNEM/ASLI KILI | SENEM/ASLI|
VINNEMASLI KILI SENEMASLI
Gough/1806 Fig. 18 reading only
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1945):||VINNEM/AGLI FILI | SENEM/AGLI|
VINNEMAGLI FILI SENEMAGLI
(The stone) of Vinnemaglus(PN), son of Senemaglus(PN)
Jackson/1953 645 reading only
Macalister/1928 300 reading only
Macalister/1945 376 reading only
Nash-Williams/1950 121--122 reading only
Westwood/1858 405--407 reading only
Westwood/1876 203 reading only
|Position:||E ; broad ; n/a ; undecorated|
Nash-Williams/1950, 121: `coarsely incised'
|Date:||400 - 533 (Nash-Williams/1950)|
500 - 533 (Jackson/1953)
Linguistic dating - see Ling.Notes.
500 - 599 (Westwood/1858)
500 - 699 (Westwood/1876)
|Palaeography:||Nash-Williams/1950, 121: `Roman capitals, in good style ... with two ligatures of MA.'|
The G's are half-uncial and the F could be taken for a K, with the upper of the two horizontal strokes angled upwards. and the lower angled downwards.
The text is clear.
Also see the discussion of these names in Rhys/1873, Rhys/1873a, and Brash/1873.
Also see the discussion of this name in Rhys/1873, Rhys/1873a, and Brash/1873.