|Discovery:||arch excav, 1935 Kendrick, T.D.|
|History:||Found by T.D. Kendrick during his excavations of the priory.|
|Dimensions:||1.07 x 0.61 x 0.14 (converted from Macalister/1949)|
Macalister/1949, 72: `in an out-house near the gate-lodge'.
|Condition:||complete , good|
|Crosses:||1: latin; outline; straight; half-round; circular; none; none; none; decorated|
|Decorations:||geometric ribbon interlace|
Kendrick/1939, 9: `incised cross with expanding ends containing fret-pattern; in the centre a roundel of interlace'.
Macalister/1949, 73: `A cross with a circular expansion and looped semicircular terminal expansions: a simple interlacement in the central, key-pattern in the terminals'.
|Kendrick, T.D. (1935):||O~R~DO || BRALIN|
OROIT DO BRALIN
Kendrick/1939 9--10 reading only
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1949):||O~R~DO || BRAUN|
OROIT DO BRAUN
Macalister/1949 73 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; beside cross ; quadrant|
Macalister/1949, 73, notes that the inscription ran down the dexter side of the cross.
|Palaeography:||CISP: The lettering is Insular half-uncial. The A is in the 'OC' form and the D, B and N have wedge-shaped finials. The D has an ascender which bends to the left over an open almost heart-shaped bow. The B has also has an ascender which curves over an open bow. The R is half-uncial, the L is curved and the N is minuscule. The initial O has an almost heart-shaped bow.|