|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1745 Morris, L.|
|History:||Lewis Morris, printed in Owen/1896, 133, stated in around 1745: `At Egremont, in the next parish, in the churchyard', and then gave a drawing of the inscription. The rediscovery of the stone in 1889 was noted in Collier/1889, 176, who stated that the stone was `in the wall [of a small church] at the west end'. Allen/1889, 305--306, describes his visit to the site, stating that the stone was `built into the west wall of the nave, outside, with the longest dimension in a vertical position'. Macalister/1945, 347: `Built into a recess in the outer face of the wall of the now ruined parish church'.|
|Geology:||Allen/1889, 306: 'granite or greenstone'.|
|Dimensions:||1.44 x 0.34 x 0.0 (converted from Macalister/1945)|
|Location:||Llandysilio, SN 11972176; The stone is now in Llandysilio Church.|
James/1997, 7, states that the stone is now in Llandysilio church, Llandysilio, Pembroke.
The stone tapers inwards towards the bottom.
|Condition:||complete , good|
Allen/1889, Fig. 1, shows damage to the stone at the bottom left; other drawings, however, do not show this damage.
|Crosses:||1: other; linear; straight; plain; square; none; none; none; n/a|
Nash-Williams/1950, 111: `incised linear cross of the so-called `patriarchal type' with double transom...7th-9th century'.
Macalister/1945, 347, shows the terminals of the cross as rounded, neither Allen/1889, Fig.1, nor Nash-Williams/1950, Fig. 113, show this feature.
|Collier, C. (1889):||NANIACVI|
Collier/1889 176 reading only
|Allen, R. (1889):||[C]ARANTACVS|
Allen/1889 306 reading only
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1945):||CARANTACVS|
Carantacus (PN) (lies here).
Jackson/1953 291 reading only
Macalister/1945 347 reading only
Nash-Williams/1950 111 reading only
Thomas/1994 302, note 42 reading only
|Position:||inc ; broad ; below cross ; undivided|
Macalister/1945, 347: 'inscription cut'.
Nash-Williams/1950, 111: 'lightly picked and partly deepened by cutting'.
|Date:||500 - 599 (Nash-Williams/1950)|
533 - 599 (Jackson/1953)
|Language:||name only (rcaps)|
|Ling. Notes:||See Jackson/1953, 502--505 for discussion.|
|Palaeography:||Nash-Williams/1950, 111: `Roman capitals with half-uncial S'.|
Macalister/1945, 347: `Roman capitals (the final S half-uncial)'.
The drawings by Allen/1889, fig 1, Macalister/1945, 347, and Nash-Williams/1950, fig. 113, all differ in minor details. Nash-Williams shows the ascender of the S continuing above the oblique stroke, and whereas the diagonal stroke of the R is shown as straight in Allen and Macalister, Nash-Williams shows it with a `kink' towards the horizontal in the middle of the stroke.
Macalister/1945, 347: `quite legible, though worn'.
Allen/1889, 306: `the C at the beginning is very faint; but I think it can be detected in the rubbing'.
The cross at the top of the stone has damaged the initial C, and overruns the A.
Thomas/1994, 288, describes the name as 'heroic'.
Thomas/1994, 302, n. 42, by describing the stone as 'single-name', implies that Carantacus may have been a cleric, for according to him (Thomas/1994, 106) some of the single name inscriptions are `almost certainly priests'.