|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1896 inc|
|History:||Macalister/1945, 246, cites the Kerry Sentinel for 12 August 1896, as the first reference for this stone, and states that it remained `on the farm of Currans'.|
|Geology:||Macalister/1945, 246: `Grit'.|
|Dimensions:||2.44 x 1.5 x 1.07 (converted from Macalister/1945)|
Macalister/1945, 246: `on the farm of Currans, about a mile from Farranfore railway station'.
Macalister/1945, 245: `reduced by violence to a very irregular shape, and tapering to the top...From the appearance of the stone we may reasonably infer that an earlier inscription was hammered away to make room for the existing epigraph'.
|Condition:||incomplete , poor|
|Decorations:||no other decoration|
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1945):||VELITASLUGUTTI|
Of the poet (_filed_) Luguttis (PN).
Macalister/1945 246 reading only
Ziegler/1994 273 reading only
|Orientation:||vertical up up|
|Position:||n/a ; arris ; n/a ; undecorated|
|Date:||400 - 500 (Ziegler/1994)|
See Ziegler/1994, 244.
|Ling. Notes:||Macalister/1945, 246: `apparently meaning `Of the Poet (filed) Luguttis'...[but] Prof. MacNeill (PRIA 39: 45) finds a difficulty in accepting this interpretation'.|
See McManus/1991, 108.
Macalister/1945, 246: `the actual reading of the letters is quite certain'.