|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1879 Westwood, J.O.|
|History:||Westwood/1879, 33: `Near the east end of the church of Coychurch, or Llangrallo, founded by St. Grab, nephew of Iltutus of Llantwit, stands a rude stone, now for the first time figured'.|
Anon/1888, 403: `stands at the east end of the chancel outside'.
Macalister/1949, 154: `standing in the churchyard to the E. of the church'.
RCAHMW/1976, 5: `Shaft formerly in the church-yard of St. Crallo's Church, E. of the chancel, and recently placed inside the church'.
|Geology:||Nash-Williams/1950, 130: `Rhaetic sandstone of local origin, probably from the St. Mary Hill area'.|
RCAHMW/1976, 59: `local Rhaetic sandstone'.
|Dimensions:||1.62 x 0.66 x 0.33 (RCAHMW/1976)|
RCAHMW/1976, 59: `inside the church.'
|Form:||Cramp shaft B|
Westwood/1879, 33: `3 feet high, 23 inches wide, and 14 inches thick, with the angles rounded into semicircular columns, having a space of a foot at the top of the west face occupied by an inscription...The lower part of the face of the stone is ornamented with rude interlacings above, and with the Chinese-like diagonal pattern below. The narrow edge of the stone is also ornamented with rudely interlaced ribbons much injured.'
Macalister/1949, 154: `A stump of a...cross'.
Nash-Williams/1950, 130: `Quadrangular shaft (? of a composite moulded slab-cross), with a deep socket at the top (? for the attachment of a separate cross-head). 64+" h. x 27" w. x 13 1/2" t...The shaft, like Nos. 205, 206, 239, 240, 252, is a debased derivative from the moulded pillar-cross (p. 34)'.
RCAHMW/1976, 59--60: `The four-sided block...stands 1.62 m above floor level. Despite its slab-like dimensions, 66 cm by 38 cm, it resembles composite moulded pillar-crosses (particularly No. 936), though lacking the cross-head for which there is a weathered socket in the top'.
|Condition:||complete , poor|
|Decorations:||geometric ribbon interlace; geometric key pattern|
Macalister/1949, 154: `There are deeply recessed panels on the four faces of the stone: those on the western, northern, and southern sides are in two divisions, one above the other. The eastern face seems to be unfinished: no ornamental devices can be traced upon it. The southern face bears interlacements (but the restoration in the accompanying drawing cannot be called certain), and the top of a third panel, with an obliterated device, rises a little above the ground line. The northern face bears simple frets. The western face bears a badly set out key pattern, with an inscription above it'.
Nash-Williams/1950, 130: `The deeply panelled faces of the shaft are decorated with carved patterns in medium relief (weathered and damaged). The heavy pillar-mouldings at the angles also show traces of carved plaitwork, and there are incised rings on the upper moulded edges of the shaft (cf. No. 252).
Front. The decoration is. disposed vertically: (a) inscription...(b) irregular plain knotwork; (c) diagonal swastika key-pattern (R.A. 1009 and 1012 alternately, used also on No. 360), with double moulding below.
Right. The decoration is disposed vertically in panels: (a) looped knot; (b) irregular six-cord knotwork; (c) defaced (? knotwork).
Back. The decoration was disposed vertically in three (?) panels (defaced, except for vestiges of irregular knotwork at the top).
Left. Decoration disposed vertically as before: (a) and (b) irregular six-cord knotwork (?); (c) defaced'.
RCAHMW/1976, 60: `Each face has a vertical panel recessed between bulbous angle-mouldings and the rounded upper edge, all very much weathered. The angle-mouldings were originally decorated with plain plaitwork, though only one retains any trace of this; the upper edges have traces of ring-and-pellet decoration. The panel on the E. face has a defaced inscription at the head (see below), separated by a narrow band of irregular plain knotwork from a distorted triangular key-pattern forming two pairs of crosses (much weathered, but hardly a swastika key-pattern); the lower border is formed of a double plain moulding. On the S. side in a vertical panel is a double looped knot separated by a moulded border from the pattern of irregular knotwork, the lower half much decayed. On the W. side the panel and angle-mouldings are so weathered as to leave only traces of irregular knotwork at the top of the panel. In the narrow vertical panel on the N. side a looped knot and a pattern of irregular knotwork below a moulded border fill the upper half, the remainder of the panel being weathered'.
|Rhys, J. (1899):||EBISSAR | [--] | [--] | [--]|
Rhys/1899 164 reading only
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1928):||EBISSAR | [--] | [--] | [--]|
EBISSAR [ECCLESIAE CONDITOR QUIESCIT]
Anon/1928 388--389 reading only
Macalister/1949 155 reading only
|Nash-Williams, V.E. (1950):||EBISSAR | [.--] | [--]|
EBISSAR [S--] [--]
Nash-Williams/1950 130 reading only
|RCAHMW (1973):||EBISSA[.] | [.--] | [--] | QUE[....]|
EBISSA[R] [P--] [--] QUE[SCIT]
RCAHMW/1976 60 reading only
|Position:||W ; shaft ; n/a ; panel|
Macalister/1949, 154--155: `The inscription was...on the western face...[It] was in four lines'.
Nash-Williams/1950, 130: `inscription (partly defaced) in three (?) lines (Fig. 140) reading horizontally'.
RCAHMW/1973, 60: `The inscription on the E. face (Fig. 16), in four or possibly five horizontal lines'.
Macalister/1949, 154: `pocked'.
Nash-Williams/1950, 130: `coarsely picked'.
|Date:||900 - 1099 (RCAHMW/1976)|
1000 - 1099 (Nash-Williams/1950)
|Ling. Notes:||If the reading of Macalister/1949, 155, is correct then the inscription is in Latin. The reading of Nash-Williams/1950, 130, however, calls this into question.|
|Palaeography:||Westwood/1879, 33: `I can only decipher the upper line, which is clearly Ebissar, written in large-sized minuscule letters, the SS being of the capital form. The name is evidently identical with one on Samson's cross at Llantwit, which has been supposed to be a corruption of the Latin word `excisor', but which is here shown to be a proper name'.|
Rhys/1899, 164: `an inscription beginning with the letters EbissAR, that is Ebissar in minuscules, except the SS : we could read no more, as the writing is too far gone: I guessed below Ebissar an e and a c, but too far from one another to belong to the word fecit'.
Macalister/1949, 155: ` the first...[line] is perfectly clear; but [of] the rest all that can be said is that the traceable remains are not inconsistent with the following reading'.
Nash-Williams/1950, 130: `Round half-uncials'.
RCAHMW/1973, 60, `in half-uncials...It is uncertain whether the final letter of the first line is R, giving Ebissar (cf. Ebisar on the `Samson' Cross (No. 912) at Llantwit Major), or S, giving Ebissas.'
Macalister/1949, 154: `in a badly worn condition'.
Nash-Williams/1950, 130: `partly defaced'.
RCAHMW/1973, 60: `The inscription...is so much weathered that only parts of the first and last lines in half-uncials can be read'.
Nash-Williams/1950, 130: `The name occurs again on Nos. 94 (? the same person) and 222'.