|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1838 Abell|
|History:||Gippert/Web, 197, states that the stone was discovered in 1838 in a souterrain, the so called `cave of Dunloe', situated `in the demesne of Dunloe Castle'. The site was first visited by `Mr. Abell, of Cork' who `on that occasion took copies of such of the inscriptions as were then accessible. After that, it was inspected by J. Windele `and a party of antiquaries from Cork'; Brash saw the spot in the autumn of 1869.|
The site was visited on (Sept.?) 15, 1884 by the members of the RSAI under the guidance of A. Hill. The group could not enter the souterrain to `read those portions of the Oghams on the upper edges of the stones which form the roof, and which have never yet been published'. A sketch of the arrangement of the lintel stones was produced, however, after the `careful measurement by Mr. Ringrose Atkins', at that time.
Some time before 1945 the stones were arranged in a small enclosure near the entrance to the Gap of Dunloe, together with the stone from Kilbonane.
Macalister/1945, 197: `used as a packing-stone above the main lintels'.
|Geology:||Macalister/1945, 197: `grit'.|
|Dimensions:||0.81 x 0.25 x 0.07 (converted from Macalister/1945)|
Gippert/Web, 197, shows the stone on display in an enclosure at the site.
|Condition:||incomplete , some|
Macalister/1945, 197: `the top is broken off and the sinister edge is battered away'.
|Decorations:||no other decoration|
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1945):||MAQIDECEDAMAQ[--|
Gippert/Web 203 reading only [Gippert 203]
Macalister/1945 197 reading only
McManus/1991 65 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; arris ; n/a ; undecorated|
Macalister/1945, 197: `the scores are chiselled'.
|Date:||400 - 550 (Ziegler/1994)|
|Palaeography:||Macalister/1945, 197: `The scores are chiselled with great neatness, in technique resembling those of Nos. II and III of the series [COOLM/2, and COOLM/3], and almost certainly the work of the same artificer'.|