|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1838 Abell|
|History:||Gippert/Web, 197, states that the stone was discovered in 1838 acting as one of the lintels of a souterrain, the so called `cave of Dunloe', situated `in the demesne of Dunloe Castle'. The site was first visited by `Mr. Abell, of Cork' who `on that occasion took copies of such of the inscriptions as were then accessible'. After that, it was inspected by J. Windele `and a party of antiquaries from Cork'. Brash saw the spot in the autumn of 1869.|
The site was visited on (Sept.?) 15, 1884 by the members of the RSAI under the guidance of A. Hill. The group could not enter the souterrain to `read those portions of the Oghams on the upper edges of the stones which form the roof, and which have never yet been published'. A sketch of the arrangement of the lintel stones was produced, however, after the `careful measurement by Mr. Ringrose Atkins', at that time.
Some time before 1945 the stones were arranged in a small enclosure near the entrance to the Gap of Dunloe, together with the stone from Kilbonane.
|Geology:||Macalister/1945, 193: `red sandstone'.|
|Dimensions:||1.42 x 0.3 x 0.18 (converted from Macalister/1945)|
Gippert/Web, 197, shows the stone on display in an enclosure at the site.
|Condition:||complete , good|
|Decorations:||no other decoration|
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1945):||MAQITTALMAQIVORGOSMA ||| QIMU ||| COITOICAC|
MAQI-TTAL MAQI VORGOS MAQI MUCOI TOICAC
Gippert/Web 200 reading only [Gippert 200]
Macalister/1945 193--194 reading only
McManus/1991 65 reading only
|Orientation:||vertical up along down|
|Position:||n/a ; arris ; n/a ; undecorated|
|Date:||500 - 700 (Ziegler/1994)|
|Ling. Notes:||See McManus/1991, 81, 116, 122, and also 82.|