|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1838 Abell|
|History:||Gippert/Web, 197, states that the stone was discovered in 1838 acting as one of the lintels of a souterrain, the so called `cave of Dunloe', situated `in the demesne of Dunloe Castle'. The site was first visited by `Mr. Abell, of Cork' who `on that occasion took copies of such of the inscriptions as were then accessible'. After that, it was inspected by J. Windele `and a party of antiquaries from Cork'; Brash saw the spot in the autumn of 1869.|
The site was visited on (Sept.?) 15, 1884 by the members of the RSAI under the guidance of A. Hill. The group could not enter the souterrain to `read those portions of the Oghams on the upper edges of the stones which form the roof, and which have never yet been published'. A sketch of the arrangement of the lintel stones was produced, however, after the `careful measurement by Mr. Ringrose Atkins', at that time.
Some time before 1945 the stones were arranged in a small enclosure near the entrance to the Gap of Dunloe, together with the stone from Kilbonane. Gippert also states that 'the stone has broken in two parts. A concrete pillar had to be prepared to support it when it was erected in the enclosure'.
|Dimensions:||2.59 x 0.43 x 0.15 (converted from Macalister/1945)|
Gippert/Web, 197, shows the stone on display in an enclosure at the site.
|Condition:||complete , some|
Gippert/Web,198: `The stone has broken in two parts. A concrete pillar had to be prepared to support it when it was erected in the enclosure'.
|Decorations:||no other decoration|
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1945):||MAQIRITEASMAQIMAQIDDUMILEAS | MUCOITOICACI|
MAQI-RITEAS MAQI MAQI-DDUMILEAS MUCOI TOICACI
Gippert/Web 198 reading only [Gippert 198]
Macalister/1945 193 reading only
McManus/1991 65 reading only
|Orientation:||vertical up up|
|Position:||n/a ; arris ; n/a ; undecorated|
|Date:||400 - 550 (Ziegler/1994)|
|Ling. Notes:||See McManus/1991, 88, 108, 115, 176.|
|Palaeography:||Macalister/1945, 193: `inscribed...with beautiful neatness...Adjacent to 1S there is a pocked rectangular space on the H-surface, apparently to remove a letter which had been placed there in error'.|
McManus/1991, 65: `an S inserted prematurely at the first E was erased by the lapidary'.