|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1869 Graves, J.|
|History:||Petrie/1872, 76: `Drawn by M[argaret] S[tokes] from a rubbing taken in the year 1869 by the Rev. James Graves'.|
Recorded as still on site in Macalister/1909, 27, and Macalister/1949, 53.
|Dimensions:||0.46 x 0.34 x 0.08 (converted from Macalister/1949)|
|Condition:||incomplete , good|
Only the stem of the cross survives, the rest lost through breakage.
|Crosses:||1: latin; outline; straight; half-round; inc; none; ind; none; plain|
Macalister/1909, 27, and Macalister/1949, 53, argue, from what remains, that the cross would have had half-round terminations and a circular expansion at the centre.
Petrie/1872, Plate LXXIV, fig. 179, does not show the cross.
|Petrie, G. (1869):||[O~R~]DOMURETHACH|
[OROIT] DO MURETHACH
Pray for Murethach (PN).
Macalister/1909 27 reading only
Macalister/1949 53 reading only
Petrie/1872 75 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; within quadrants ; quadrant|
The inscription runs downwards in a single line within the lower right quadrant.
|Palaeography:||CISP: The inscription is in half-uncial. The initial D has an ascender which bends leftwards over an open heart-shaped bow, while the O also tapers downwards to a point; the M has a short leftwards stroke from the top of the first ascender; the R is minuscule; the E is three-pronged with the middle stroke elongated, and the H's are angular.|