|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1909 Macalister, R.A.S.|
|History:||First noted in Macalister/1909, 25.|
Recorded as still on site in Macalister/1949, 52.
|Dimensions:||0.43 x 0.56 x 0.06 (converted from Macalister/1949)|
|Condition:||incomplete , some|
The lower left and lower right edges of the stone appear to have suffered some damage, while the bottom of the cross is lost, implying further damage.
|Crosses:||1: latin; outline; straight; expanded; circular; none; inner curv; ind; plain|
Macalister/1909, 25: `A peculiar and very effective Celtic cross, of a type not elsewhere found at Clonmacnois, with a circular centre instead of the more usual square'.
Macalister/1949, 52: `Wheel cross with circular central expansion'.
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1909):||E/UDUS | MAE/L || OINAE|
Macalister/1909 25 reading only
Macalister/1949 52 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; mixed ; separated|
The first line of the inscription is above the cross and the second is divided by the upper arm of the cross.
|Date:||874 - 874 (Macalister/1949)|
|Language:||name only (rbook)|
|Palaeography:||CISP: The inscription is in half-uncial. The 1st and 2nd E's are three-pronged and conjoined to the next letter, while the third E is closed; the D has an ascender which bends to the left over an open heart-shaped bow; the S is minuscule; the A's are in the `OC' form. The ascenders of the 1st U appear to have wedge-shaped finials.|