|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1869 Graves, J.|
|History:||Petrie/1872, 26, records that the stone was drawn `by the Rev. James Graves and Mr. Hennessy, at Clonmacnois, in 1869'.|
Recorded as still on site in Macalister/1949, 50.
|Dimensions:||0.34 x 0.2 x 0.13 (converted from Macalister/1949)|
|Condition:||frgmntry , poor|
Only the top arm of the cross and the upper sinister quadrant remain. The remainder is lost.
|Crosses:||1: inc; outline; straight; expanded; ind; none; inner curv; ind; plain|
Macalister/1909: `top of a probably quadrate Celtic cross'.
Macalister/1949, 50: `Top of a wheel cross'.
|Petrie, G. (1869):||OR~DO | VAD || A|
OROIT DO UADA
Pray for Uada (PN).
Petrie/1872 26 reading only
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1909):||O~R~DO | VAD || A|
OROIT DO VADA
Macalister/1909 22 reading only
Macalister/1949 50 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; mixed ; separated|
The inscription , as we have it, is in the upper left quadrant, and on the upper arm of the cross.
|Date:||826 - 828 (Lionard/1961)|
|Palaeography:||CISP: The inscription is in half-uncial. The initial OR has a contraction mark over it; the R is majuscule; the V is particularly open with the right-hand stroke having a curved extension; the 1st A is angular and four-sided and the 2nd angular and three-sided; the second D has a vertical ascender with a finial and an open bow.|
The top of the last two letters on the first line have been lost.
Lionard/1961, 160, accepts this identification.